Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Pocono Setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Pocono Setup Reply with quote

Ok ramblers let's get rambling. We are going to Pocono later this month and running a double regional SCCA race. Dad on Saturday and I on Sunday. The configuration is a bit different than what SCCA has run in the past. At Pocono, they incorporate the infield with NASCAR turn 1 and 2 (tunnel turn that unfortunately ended Bobby Allison's NASCAR career). The course will be run clockwise with a "bus stop" chicane along the Long Pond straight connecting NASCAR turns 1&2. We will be running on the banking over the tunnel turn onto the Long Pond straight, get up to 5th then brake hard for the chicane. We enter NASCAR turn one (aka "The Bowl") from the opposite direction and then onto the front straight . If your a NASCAR fan you'll get a chance to see what I'm talking about this weekend when the "Hollywood Hotel" makes it's annual stop there for the PA 500.

The question is, in order to keep the ass end planted in the Bowl we thought to add an extra pound or two the the left side tires and maybe raise the left front spring perch a rotation or two or three.

Has anyone else run at Pocono or a similar high banked oval who could tell us what we need to do? When I ran there last year for a driver's school I was on street tires, ran without a spoiler, had stock 924 springs, and stock torsion bars. Let me tell you it was very scary as I ran the same direction as NASCAR does and all the car wanted to do was have the back end come around. She was running real loose and had plenty of oversteer. Now we have 350# front springs, 30MM rear torsion bars, larger front 944T sway bar. I think the formula I laid out should work. Am I in over my head? No way I am going to get blown away in the Bowl by an ITC Rabbit again. This time his ass is mine!!!

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Jeremy
#53 924 ITA SCCA
wdb  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does SCCA allow putting the battery in the spare tire well .40 lbs over the rear wheels might help plant the rear end .
wdb  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in SOLO 1 and 11 , you can move the battery ,not sure about others

SEE C: last line
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/sp.html#s149
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure SCCA rules would allow me to put the battery in the rear like that because the current location protects the driver from fires/acid spills being on the other side of the fire wall. Besides, I'm not sure we could secure it properly and I don't want to buy a battery box. I do like the idea of more weight in the rear. We can put back in the spare tire/dougnut which IS legal. Thanks for helping get my wheels in motion!!
wdb  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you didnt read the link .

Relocation of the battery or batteries is permitted but not into the passenger compartment.

The area behind the rearmost seat is not considered to be within the passenger compartment.
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I'm not running Solo I or II. I run SCCA Club racing Improved Touring. I still think that moving the battery to that cavity is not a safe option as it would be difficult to clamp down.

Thanks again.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving the battery is not legal in IT.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: