Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

'77 takes an '87 in a/x

View previous topic :: View next topic  
-nick  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys-
i was at the cvr a/x on sunday and, well i didn't actually take the '87 924S this time, but i was within 0.5 sec of him.

to give you an idea, we had the same tires- yoko avs, he was totally stock, i've got bigger springs and a 125+hp motor. i beat him the last time, but my front tires are at the end of their life and the car was understeering much more than it ever has. our driving ability seemed pretty comparable too.

and both of us easily beat the only stock 944 that was there.

so the early 924na's aren't so slow after all

regards
-nick
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewl.

So, did the 44 have a rear swaybar? How badly was it leaning?

This truly is the best feature of the 924, how easily you can drive it to the limit...

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
-nick  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This truly is the best feature of the 924, how easily you can drive it to the limit... "

very true! although with so much understeer i didn't get some of the nice drifts that usually make the car so easy (FUN!) to drive. this is the first a/x this has become a problem- gotta get new tires...

i was surpised that neither the 924S nor the 944 had extreme amounts of lean even with the stock setup. although mine is pretty flat with the big springs, the 2.5L's weren't too far off it seemed.

and i was equally surprised that the 944 didn't do better since it's got a little wider tire contact patch than the 924S and a much wider contact patch than my '77 on 14" rims.

north country region a/x is this weekend (8/11), it would be nice to see some other early 924's.

-nick
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size rear swaybar have you got? Aren't you allowed to swap sizes, or does that bump you to prepared?

Are these PCA autocrosses, or SCCA?

'82 931 Plat. Silver
-nick  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan-
i'm running both stock '77.5 bars. the early style rear 18mm bar and the front 20mm bar. this is in PCA where almost any suspension mods are legal.

i'm planning on going to the late type rear bar pretty soon with the Weltmeister adapter kit. might start off with a stock 14mm bar? or just go ahead and pick up the 19mm cup bar. a new 23mm front bar should be here soon.

i'll keep you posted,
-nick
larso  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should all try driving 944s 924S's and 924s when we get a chance, because then we know what is what, autocrossing against people isn't fair to judge which car is peppier around the turns because the driver is not the same guy. There are guys in unmodified civis that can probably beat a 911 driver with a cigar in his mouth...doesn't mean the civic is a better car.
I was under the impression that 924s handled a lot better than 944s when slightly modifed because of their low weight...but realistically, 924s aren't really light cars, most 924s come with air, and a sunroof...sunroof cars are heavier...engine is iron, so the 944 engine isn't heavier than the 924 because it is aluminum, no advantage there...suspension, 944s come with better stock suspension, and power steering, I am willing to bet that power steering helps autocrossers out, not on track, but in autocorssig it probably helps to be quicker at the wheel.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend getting the 19mm bar, remember it's adjustable too...

'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: