Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Pistons Standard or Overbore1,2,3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joes924  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Lets see Ive been doing a
little reading on some pistons Ill be recieving .Im assuming there standard size 86.50mm ..let me ask you a few questions
if you built your own motor you might know the answers
Are the pistons standard size or overbores switchable with different size rings filed to the right gap I think its 0.3 to 0.5..if so what overbore size 1,2 or3 ...Doesnt this compromise the life of the motor lets say by about by half of exspected milage These are not really important questions cause I can measure the dia. of the pistons and go from there. I understand the tolerances for the dia of the pistons to see if there still usable but the question is on getting away with just a honing of my block Im pretty sure its standard never been bored.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sizes available are 86.5 86.75 87.00 the ones I am sending you are 86.5 Standard bore size. I just measured one with my micro. The #'s listed above are from AA, but I got my replacement pistons from Best Deal and was given the option of standard or .020 oversized. In any case the machine shop custom bored every cylinder to fit each individual piston.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: joes924 on 2001-10-12 04:34 ]
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A competent shop will measure your pistons, Joe, and bore your cylinder walls to match. Try also to have the piston weights matched to each other.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I could prob. just hone the block and reuse the crank .. if its all good still.. I know Ill need a gasket set & bearings what about reusing the rod bolts head bolts, studs and cam bolts bearingsits ok isnt it if there not streched out or scored,trashed ...in some way.

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2001-10-26 11:26 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: