Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Clutch limits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swimming Bear  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the gig; I like my 924. I like it's handling. To me it is the most visually appealing car in creation aside from the Ferrari Daytona (which I think it resembles in profile).
The bulging fenders of the 944s kill the lines. These are a few of the reasons that I
chose to modify my 924 instead of switching to something inherently faster. I know that the 931s would fit my needs, but I have a thing for exhaust tone. I would like to build my 924 up over time using a 931 head, an intercooler, electronic engine management, and a Lysholm twin screw supercharger (these are capable of 20psi, but I would set it at 15). The only thing that would cause me to abort my long term plan is a concern that the
mechanical clutch would not handle my desired power (around 260). I don't like the idea of replacing the clutch every year. This concern is not based on any evidence it's just an inference that I made based on Porsches decision to use hydraulic clutches on the turbo cars. Before telling me that this amount of money would buy a much faster car bear in mind that I can bolt the supercharger on with a pulley set at 5psi and drive happily improving the car little by little as spending the money becomes more practical. Forgive my long-windedness, but I
like my 70's sports car and don't want anything else. Also, I realize that both clutches are mechanical, but the hydraulic acutation allows for spring pressure that would destroy the cable mounts in a conventional arrangement.

[ This Message was edited by: Swimming Bear on 2001-10-13 00:38 ]
[ This Message was edited by: Swimming Bear on 2001-10-13 00:42 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: