Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1987 924S Odometer/New Owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trading a motorcycle for a 1987 Porsche 924S that is a one owner, 37,000 mile black/black vehicle. The car has been in storage for the past 4 years but it's getting what it needs done to bring it up to date. Did this vehicle have the 6 space odometer? The reason I'm asking is that I don't want to see the car and find out that it's really 137,000 miles and only showing 37,000 if it's 5 space odometer. My dad had an 82 924 so I'm mainly buying it for sentimental purposes and a fun second driver for me and my kids. Also, how does Mobil 1 Full synthetic work in these vehicles? I plan on keeping it a long time. Thanks again
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't be so shy - ask the seller. Worst that could happen is they'd get the impression that you're not just an easy sell and would like to know some details about the car. Ask all the questions you can think of. You don't want to find yourself owning the car, finding problems later and saying to yourself, "If I knew that and the other thing, I wouldn't have bought it (or would have paid less)".

I got my '82 931 from a small used car lot. I had no reason to believe that I'd get any after sales service, so; I took my time, asked a lot of questions over several visits, and still went down there with a vacuum gauge, compression tester and compression leakdown tester with a small air compressor. I had the hood up, spark plugs out, tools all over the place - even funny looking people were giving me funny looks, but; I found out what I needed to know before handing over the money.

This may be irrelevant, but; my '82 924 Turbo shows all 6 digits up to 999,999 miles.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't assume 37K without strong proof.

Rick
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car is new enough to run a car fax.

The odometer will not record over 100K miles... it will zero out. I have a 924S spedometer in my 82 924. I wanted the 160mph face instead of the 85mph stock 82. The older models do the 100K plus but the new ones do not.

Check the car out real close. Make sure the belts were recently changed even if the 36K is the correct mileage. Oh most good mechanics...Porsche guys.... would be able to tell a 36K mile car from a 136K mile car. Comparing a 45K to 36K would be much more difficult, but on a high mileage car is normally easy to point to a few key items.

Two easy things to check. Look at the steering wheel, shifter boot and pedal rubber. If these have severe wear... I would suspect the car is not what it is reported. Of course these all could have been doctored to look the part. The only way to know is to check car fax and have a good mechanic check the car over.

Eric
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone here run a carfax for me? Where would I do it? Everytime I've tried to run a free Porsche carfax online, it always returns with "automobiles never have the letters O,..P.." etc. The VIN is WPOAA092XHN55104
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the wrong VIN sorry guys. I got it and ran a CarFax and it showed all clear. The one thing I didn't get with the carfax was the service history but it is only one owner and was purchased in May, 1987 and titled to only one person since then. So far so good but we'll see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: