Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

basic questions for you turbo kids

View previous topic :: View next topic  
-nick  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: basic questions for you turbo kids Reply with quote

i've come across quite a few turbos now in my search for another 924. i'm curious about some of the differences between the early/late/euro cars.

i know the late cars have the digital ignition. what is the real benefit of it? just more precise timing? the benefits of tuneable digital ignition is obvious, but i'm curious if the factory system is really noticeable?

also where does that extra ~20hp come from on the euro's? the US and RoW '80's had the same compression so it doesn't come from there. that's a fare bit of hp to loose by going across the pond.

i've read the info on this site about problems with the intake seals on the early cars. any other areas to be concerned about with them? the Porsche is obviously finicky.

finally, what sort of engine performance is attainable withouth intercooling? it looks like a mess to plumb the 951 IC through the nose.

thanks
-nick
81turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital ignition make a huge difference in how the car runs. It idles smooth, it feels more like a new car. The 81+ exhaust manifold was redesigned to reduce cracking.

The 20hp comes from higher boost. .45 bar for the US cars and .65 and .7 (depending on year and compression ratio) for the Euro cars.

I am not farmiliar with any problems with the intake seals.

If you just add a boost controler you can run up to 1 bar (some do I choose not to) you can easily get 200hp. I run .75 on an 81 I would estimate my horsepower to be around 180.
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, now I have to ask........I put a boost gauge in my 1980, and it consistently runs 15psi........but it doesn't go over 15psi. I was guessing that could be because maybe the PO put in a higher rate boost spring. I don't think it is a problem with the wastegate because it always tops out at 15psi and stops rock solid at 15psi (could actually be 14.7). Should I worry about a broken waste gate, or is it more likely that they put in a 1 bar spring?

Also, after I put the intercooler in, I was planning on raising the boost higher, maybe 17psi with an electronic boost controller (I already have parts for a rebuild incase the engine blows up, it already has a new head gasket).
-nick  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that pretty much clears up all my questions. fwiw, i read about the turbo to intake seal problem is in the tech section.

-nick
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex - Unless there's a well hidden boost control valve in there somewhere, my best guess would be you have a stiffer wastegate spring - assuming the gauge isn't lying. Mine goes up to about 7 psi with my added-on boost valve fully open (inactive state). I have the VDO combined boost-vacuum gauge.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, as far as I know the car is completly stock. I did not put a stiffer spring in. Over all how is the car doing? Today I commented to a mechanic that I should of kept the 80 and sold the 81 or go buy a NA.

Michael
porsche931US  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Boost controller Reply with quote

Ya i was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a place online that sold aftermarket boost controllers.I dont really care whether it is a manual or digital. If u would pleace just let me know if anyone knows of any sites.
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best place I have seen is Ebay.....just search for "boost controller" and you will get 2-3 pages.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.lindseyracing.com/boost4.htm
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u really love lindseyracing.com don't u lizard???
Bae turbo kit
to check out my 944 S2 http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=388139
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

78porsche924 wrote:
u really love lindseyracing.com don't u lizard???

they have some nice perf parts on there site, and they have a site in canada on the west coast which is perfect, no duties
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U sure u don't work for them j/k. u just seem to mention them alot. See there is a p-car palce in canada.
Bae turbo kit
to check out my 944 S2 http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=388139
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

78porsche924 wrote:
U sure u don't work for them j/k. u just seem to mention them alot. See there is a p-car palce in canada.

yah 1 maybe 2 but not alot that I have really easy access to
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i feel you. My main parts places around me are the dealer....and pep boys. Basically i pay way too much for stuff or i get the wrong stuff(dumbasses still say the purolator fuel filter fits me car when purolator doesn't even make a filter that does). That is why i usually order online.
Bae turbo kit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: