Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Intake Manifold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mueller  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone thought about having a custom intake manifold made? After all we have aftermarket exhaust, so if we get some pipe and have a shop mandrel bend it to our needs would it be a feasible idea. Sorry for my grammar and I trying to work at the same time. It would be alot cheaper than porting, I guess we would need to match the length... Hmmm, anybody have any ideas?
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John- Yes... I have thought of the fabrication and other issues to deal with. After the amount of work to modify the CIS intake system you are better off spending money on a custom injection system that is superior to CIS. Go to http://www.emsport.org and take a look at their injection system.

I am considering their injection system, but have to wait until next years budget kicks in...

And next years budget will be a LOT smaller... this year I spent... wanna really hear? $1500, $1500, $1000, $500... Add that all up... I might have spent more..

So yeah, a $1500 - $2000 injection system is out of this years budget... Maybe, just maybe next year..

But for now I'll suffer with very low 6's to 60 with my NA 924...

ohh bummer

- Jon

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the emsport pricing seems a bit on the high side for a set of throttle bodies.

Take a look at www.speed-technology.com/efi_throttle.html and click the "4 Cylinder" button. Their price for the "Pro" kit is only AUS$1210 or $1434 with filters. If you're going for maximum flow, forget the filters and use an airbox over the end of the ram tubes with a single large remote filter.

The drawback is that the kits are designed to bolt to weber manifolds so you'd have to factor in that cost. You'll also need a fuel-only or fuel+ignition computer. Emsport doesn't say whether they include the computer which may justify their prices. Haltech at www.haltech.com.au show a rec. price of AUS$915 for their F9 fuel computer (they show the US price as US$719 which is either out-of-date or excessive).

Remember these prices are in Australian dollars so you basically divide by two to get US dollars (sob!) say US$600 and US$700 for the throttle bodies and US$460 for a Haltech F9 purchased in Aus.

Another Aussie company is at www.injectionperfection.com. Their web site is very ordinary and Netscape-unfriendly but their prices are similar to those of EFI Hardware and they have a good reputation.

[ This Message was edited by: Peter_in_AU on 2001-10-07 17:22 ]
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing I forgot to say about one throttle body per cylinder that needs to be thought about is vacuum. You really need to take vacuum from each body so your brake booster still works correctly.

On the 924 motor one solution might be to mount the EFI injectors in the head in place of the old injectors and run vacuum lines from the injector holes in the throttle bodies to a reservoir and from there to the brake booster.

Something to add to the list of questions to ask the throttle body supplier.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent my free time with a mechanic that works mostly on US made cars. He is currently making the coffin car from the Munsters. He bought the coffin, made the frame and needs little to finish.Corvette engine.
While there we discuss intakes and exhausts. He does not think it is hard to get a flange and make an intake manifold. Attach carbs and you are almost done. As you know I have two 45DCOEs on my car so the measurements are there. The problem with most of us is that we don't have welding equipement, grinders, time, etc. Think Hot Rod. Fabricate when you can. As for exhaust you can buy angles pipe for headers and weld on a flange. Tools are the key. Experience helps.
John Mueller  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NA 924 is my pride and joy, my Saturn is my daliy driver. However I just pulled the motor out of it for a rebuild and mod. However my budget for the two cars is hurting so I am taking my time. Luckily I live downtown and not having a car is ok, and I save more money since I can't drive to spend it... So far this is what I have done to my car. New exhaust, with header. New bearings all around. New suspension bushings, although I am going to switch to spherical bearings soon. New valves and cam, still wanting another cam with a better grind though. New hoses, cool blue vacuum lines, new injectors and lines. New fuel pump, rebuilt bottom end, new clutch and flywheel, pressure plate. Torque tube has new bearings. New headlight motor. Oh yeah and a new sunroof, found out that they do not stay in at 100mph moving backwards. So I almost have a new car...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: