Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

944 sway bars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamez  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will the sway bars off an '87 944 turbo fit onto a 924?
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front swaybars changed during the '82 model year. The 944 front swaybars are interchangeable with these later 924's, all 924S models, and all 944 and 951's. The rear swaybars are all the same from '78.5 and up. You need to make sure your car was equipped with a rear swaybar. Otherwise you will need an adapter kit or you'll need to weld the brackets on. You can also swap in a swaybar equipped torsion tube.

Hope this helps.
Vince  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also looking at putting the same sway bar on the front of my car. You will need the flat stock off the donor car which look like straps instead of the drop links that come with our cars. You will need the later steel arms because the swaybar will be connected to the middle of the arms rather than the place you currently have them or think of it as notch on the outside of the early arms. You could try to drill holes in the current arms but I fear that they will be off kilter and then will have problems with binding. If you can get the sway bar for less than 50 make sure you get all the parts and then start the process of measuring where the holes might be drilled. I have Euro 85 A arms off a 924 and all I have to do is put all the parts together and the straps will have to bolted to the body by welding a bracket to support the swaybar. Drilling holes and forcing the bolts in is not my idea of a clean usefull job. Yes, you will probably have to have a wheel alignment done.
-nick  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Vince-
are you sure the 944 front bar will clear the 924 rad fan?

the 924 bars have a dip in them to go around the fan while the 944 bars are straight across. i didn't think they could clear?

also, there's been alot of talk on the rennlist racing list lately about 944 front bars working their way out of the droplink bushings. this could be just an alignment issue people are having, but alot of people are having this problem.

and i've seen a 944 with heavy bars and stock springs pull one end of the bar right out of the bushing. verdict was that the bar was doing more work than the springs and it slipped out.

these are track and a/x problems that would probably never come up on the street. but i know you track your na.

just some observations,
-nick
Vince  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really never checked about the clearance. I think the center two strap type drop links would clear . You could always weld on a spacer to clear. I will try this soon and let you all know.

Vince
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: