Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Which Porsche should I buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiplash_s  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would like to get back in the Porsche scene, I am in the "mode" for it, I used to own 3 924's, I am looking at a 1972 Porsche 914 and 1982 Porsche 928, both have rebuilt motors and trannies and run great, which way should I go, I'm not going the 924/944 route this time
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you asking us?

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Dave  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want lots of power in a small car go for the 928. But If you want the classic car driving around town look go for the 914.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck working on the 914...
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

914s are WAY mroe prone to rust...928s are no doubt more expensive, unless you buy two, one for parts. 914s handle better and are more like a racer, 928s are more like a touring holiday car, 928 is like driving a nice handling vette, 914 is like driving a slow ferrari?
MAS  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the rust issue on any 914, the main thing to worry about with the 928 is the cost of maintenance. The 928 (even an early one) is really in a different league, as the 914 was very much the "intro" Porsche of its era.

Even though the early 928's are not as fast as the later ones, you are still going to be getting a pretty powerful and quick V8 car.

If you budget is limited, and you're not concerned about big power, I'm sure that the 914 would be an easier and cheaper car to use on a day to day basis. Almost all of these cars, unless they have been restored will have some kind of a rust problem(s). So I would be probably more concerned about the condition of the body than the engine on a 914. The reason being that "de-rusting" a rust-prone car can cost a small fortune to do properly... whereas the engines for the 914's are (to the best of my knowledge) VW based. And, so get resonable pep out of the engines, many people have rebuilt them using bigger bore kits. I had a friend who had a 914 that had (I think) a 2.0 liter engine, and it actually moved off the line quite quickly.

-MAS
Dave  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that all the sheet metal used in making porsches is anodized so it wont rust
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
different techniques, and only parts of the car were anodized in the 70s and beyond.
In 1980, (maybe 1979), the porsches are rust proof, I swear, they are the most rust proof car I have seen in my entire life.

The 928 has a lot of aluminum stuff on it, doors for example, 928s don't rust, old or new...924s old ones do a little sometimes, but 1980s dont at all.
Im not sure about the early 928s for rust on the car other than the aluminum stuff...not sure if they used the 80s techniques to anodize.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmM Good question.. Ive seen some neat 914s
here in Oregon. They look good orange or yellow or green. If it was me Id go with the budget thing and get a 914.They also look good red, black,or white .Let us know.

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2001-08-09 09:51 ]
whiplash_s  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes well I am not concerned about cornering much, I am mainly looking for another Porsche to take on long road trips and maybe take to the drag strip, so I think the 928 would be the ideal choice, and yes they are expensive for parts but oh well what do you expect its a german import. And its an automatic and that is what I want.
Ants  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need an offshore account to run a 928, I knew of a case where a 928 needed a new starter motor but it was about 4 times the price of an old 911 one so the owner skimped and fitted a 911 one, (they turn in the opposite direction to a 928 starter)

Consequently an engine rebuilt was called for, 928 parts are expensive and cos of its weight it tend to get through brakes, tyres shocks quicker than a 914, its the porsche that i've always wanted but thus far my head has ruled my heart.

BTW there was a great article in 911&Porsche world about a race bred hill climbing 914, they be quick and are a damn site easier to tune up than a 928 would be.

Ants
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: