Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Tweeking the fuel adjustment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clhughart  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son had an 81 924 Turbo that we kept improving (but still had lots of little problems) and then after rebuilding the turbo, it ran GREAT . . . until two cylinders started getting low compression (i.e. oil out the dipstick tube). Rather than fix it, we bought another one and now we have one for parts. I can't seem to get the fuel just right on the new one. I switched the new injectors, fuel accumulator and warm up regulator from his old car, then I had to switch the fuel distributor because it was flooding way bad. It runs decent now, but it has a mild surge at steady speed, but generally runs great when you get on it. It also seems to have a slight decrease in power at about 5000 rpm when the other car just seemed to get stronger all the way to red line. Should I add or delete some of the washers on the fuel pressure (regulator?) in the fuel distributor? I can't seem to get it right between the fuel pressure and the fuel adjustment.

Also, no I don't have a pressure guage. Does anyone know where can I can get one at a reasonable price?

One last question not related to the running. I don't understand the heater controls. When I bought it, the air conditioner blew out throught the vents, but now it blows out at the passenger's feet. My control has a dial swithch on the left and three controls, that absolutely don't appear to do anything, althought the resistance on them feels like they are hooked up to something. Any help?
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it the second car is an 82 931 and your using the 81 for parts?

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your heater controls are functioning as they were meant to, they work like this:

The upper-left control turns the lower air passage (foot area) on/off (left=on). The upper-right control turns the windshield defroser duct on/off (right=on). The controls beside each dashboard vent control them (up=shut, down=open). The right-left sliding controls for the vents don't affect the dashboard vents. So, to have air flow -only- from the center (dashboard vents), slide the upper left control to the right and the upper right control to the left (both to the center) and open the vents by moving each ones' control down. When you look over the markings (up arrow, down arrow, etc) they start to make sense.
----------x x---------- foot/defrost control
/...........[_].........../
x---------------------- cold-hot control

To have air come out of all ducts, move the top controls away from each other and leave the dashboard ducts open (down)(w/cold air):
x---------- ----------x foot/defrost control

For defroster only (with hot air):
----------x ----------x foot/defrost control
----------------------x cold-hot control
(and close each dashboard vent (up))

Foot heat only:
x---------- x---------- foot/defrost control
----------------------x cold-hot control

To shut everything:
----------x x---------- foot/defrost control

All of that applies when the a/c is off. Once you turn on the a/c, the defrost and foot vents automatically close and air is only directed through the dashboard vents (which can still be opened/closed with their individual controls). (If it's working correctly.)

Not sure if you needed all that, but; there it is anyway. Sorry - don't have an answer for the fuel delivery question. Maybe one of these testers could be used:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=5344

[ This Message was edited by: Smoothie on 2001-09-26 10:10 ]
clhughart  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smoothie for the control information. The one on the 81 was different than the 82 but they didn't work right either so I never had figured any of them. I'll print your message and try it . By the way, since the air conditioner does not put air out the middle like it did about two weeks ago, what is probably wrong? (The air comes out the passenger side floor board now.) And to Zuffen, yes we are using the 82 and using the 81 for parts.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had the problem you're describing, so; don't have any specific advice. The Haynes Porsche 924 and Turbo book has a diagram and a paragraph on the a/c vacuum system on page 70. My best guess from looking at the diagram is that your "Vacuum unit, air control flap" (#5) may not be operating. It may be bad or maybe the vacuum line just got disconnected. Or maybe you don't have vacuum at all to the a/c controls. In addition, you might just try to shut off the lower vent with the upper-left slider. Move it to the right to shut off air to the foot area. If that works, you may have a temporary fix until the vacuum system problem is fixed. Just remember to open the dashboard vents (levers down). One more check - If the whole a/c vacuum system is not getting vacuum, the a/c control won't shut the defroster duct either, so; turn on the defroster at the slider control (upper-right slider to the right) and turn on the a/c. If air comes out of the defroster, then the vacuum system isn't shutting that flap either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: