Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Autopower install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Autopower install Reply with quote

Just put in the roll bar. Actually a very eazy job! If any one needs a installation write up on the bar for a 924S let me know and I will start typing!!! D
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need it! Take pictures! Type!
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do that when I get back from Heartland Park. Too busy getting the car prepped for now. I am fabricating a set of rails so I can get the seat in and I'm having a bear of a time coming up with a solution. The biggest problem is seat height. The seat will mount to stock rails but it sits too high and can't shift. I will make another post when I get the installation procedure written up. D
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just did a Kirkey seat installation a few weeks ago. Kirkey sells the seat brackets which bolted directly to the floor. I think we even used two of the original factory seat holes. I thought the seat would not fit at all because were pretty imposing guys and the seat fit perfectly with plenty of clearence for our helmets. Call Kirkey in upstate NY, they might have them. If not they can get you in contact with a company in MI (name escapes me - Kirkey knows though) that sold us everything including the seat back brace which bolted to the back of our Autopower cage. I love it and was very pleased at the price.

Jeremy
924 SCCA ITA
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jer, Thanks! Seat is no longer an issue. The seat is an OMP F1 style seat. Had to make flat plates and drill adjustment holes for the seat and weld the bolts to it for the mounting to the floor panel. This seat isn't going anywhere!! I also have a Kirkey seat in storage, don't like it at all! I think those seats are better for sprint and stock cars. But I may use it for Road America since they have a equal restraint rule (Chi-town PCA). Thanks again for the lead! D
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkey is in Ontario. Eh!

I love my Kirkey, but I'm still not happy with the install, never have been completely 100% happy... want it lower... arrgh. Seat installs are always a problem, IMO.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our install was no picnic by any stretch but I love it. Compared to the now-illegal plastic drag seat we used to have we are much much better. I thought height was also going to be a problem, I have the same as you Vaughan but it's perfect. Your never gonna see the front bumbers anyway and if your ever in a situation where you might use them to scrub off speed with the guy in front then your braking too late My father complains about the height also but it's pretty low in there compared to our drag seat. I personally think he is getting his excuse machine warmed up for when he can't go faster than me
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian made...No wonder it won't fit me. They build the seats bigger because of the extra pounds gained during hibernation!! There just isn't enough bolstering for my skinny little body! D
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgz924s wrote:
Canadian made...No wonder it won't fit me. They build the seats bigger because of the extra pounds gained during hibernation!! There just isn't enough bolstering for my skinny little body! D

nice one but from what I have seen there are more obese people in the US than canada although we do have our share of porkers up here too
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh... they only sell the wide ones down south in the States! I've got the real skinny one, probably fit you well dgz, it's the 14.5" width one. I'm skinny (6' and about 150-160lbs), and it's a snug fit for me. That's why I love mine.

The funny part is watching anyone larger than me (which is most people) try to fit in.

When I'm sitting in it, even without buckling in, I can rock my body side-to-side and shake the car.

heh heh.. chicks dig that... heh heh...

Reminds me of the Quebequois joke, "How many Anglos does it take to make love? 3, two in bed and a third to shake it..."
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
When I'm sitting in it, even without buckling in, I can rock my body side-to-side and shake the car.

this only happens when your suspension is to soft cart racing comes to mind
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, kinda hard to do now!
'82 931 Plat. Silver
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD! I am not the only skinny guy around!! hehe The OMP seat is tight! I wasn't moving at all and comfy too! The installation was tough ended up welding 4 grade 8 bolts to 4" wide metal plates mount the seat to the plates and drop the welded bolts through the floor pan. Basically time consuming more than anything. Just alot of adjusting to get it where I need it. No more knee knock when shifting and strapped in as tight as one can be! D
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: LONG Rollbar install..... Reply with quote

OK Here we go!!! Remove the front seats. Slide seat forward and remove the 2- 10mm bolts from each rail that connect to the floor pan, some may be allen head. Use a 1/4 drive ratchet and short 10mm socket. Now slide the seat fully to the back and remove the 2- 10mm in the front. Remove the seat and repeat the same on the other seat. Raise the rear hatch and lay the rear seat back flat and remove the bolts at each end of the seat back and remove the seat back, you do not need to remove the bottom rear seat. Loosely mount the 2 legs that mount on the wheel well and lift the bar in place through the back hatch area being careful not to let the flanges scrape up the interior! I used rags to protect the inside from getting marred by the sharp edges on the flanges. Next place the rollbar as far back as it will go and use duct tape to mark the area on the carpet where the flanges lie. Now you must compensate for the thickness of the carpet about 7 to 10mm so on the rear wheel wells move the tape nearest you( facing the rear of the car) and move the bottom piece of tape 5-6mm forward to the front of the car, this is needed because when you cut the carpet out the flanges will move abit and the holes won't match up! On the flanges at the floor in front of the back seat move the tape that is nearest the rear of car rearward 5-7mm to account for the carpet there. Only 1 section of tape gets moved on both. Now cut an X in the carpet within the square area marked with the tape and remove the under carpet material. Now you should see the metal and ready to drill. Get the bar down flush with the metal and drill one hole and place a bolt in to help keep the right location then do the same on the other flanges. Now you should have 4 bolts one in each flange and now proceed to drill all the holes. Once all the drilling is done start bolting it in. Keep in mind the bolts for the rear mounting points need the bolt heads to be installed from the outer wheel well this will remove any extra bolt from scraping tires when cornering. All the other bolts can be placed from inside the car. Now you can take the carpet and fold the flaps over and around the rollbar mounting points- I used double sided tape to adhere the carpet back down! WALLA you have a rollbar! I am still working on pictures so bear with me on that issue. This installation is for the 924S model. Took about an hour to do. It also helps to install the harnesses before replacing the seats. Hope this works for you!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: