Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

k26 options?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epsylon  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, where would you get a 4 bolt turbo header? it is my understanding that there is not one for 931. an adpater seems easier to fabricate then a header. the reason you would make an adapter would be to switch to a newer turbo of your choice.
South Padre Island
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsylon wrote:
ok, where would you get a 4 bolt turbo header? it is my understanding that there is not one for 931. an adpater seems easier to fabricate then a header. the reason you would make an adapter would be to switch to a newer turbo of your choice.

this is something you would have to have a local shop fab up and would be alittle pricey
81turbo  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if either of you have ever worked on getting the turbo off the car. If you have you would know that there is no room to add an adapter or move the turbo. The unit has to be bolted to the block (it's heavy!). It would be more trouble than it is worth to move the turbo. Now fabricating the manifold with a four bolt flange would be an idea but it is very cost preventative. Basically the turbo unit is what it is. It is a good unit and does last with propper care. Always cool down the car after driving etc. I would recomend you spend your time and money installing a turbo timer. The amount of fabrication needed to modify the turbo system would be ungodly. It would involve a new exhaust system, manifold, bracket for connecting the turbo to the block and big changes to the oiling system.

UGH!
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epsylon,

From a thread a couple weeks ago...
CMXXXI wrote:
I've seen rebuild kits go for about $100, but I personally would be be real leary of doing the work. Those things spin incredibly fast, and the balance is absolutely critical. I have been told that even by scraping some of the carbon off of some turbine blades, and not others can cause the thing to self destruct.

I searced for months to find someone to rebuild my euro-spec and finally came across the company below. The POC's name given me was "Bob Pye". They did a 10 day turn-around and charged me (I think) $535. One year warranty. Looks like good work (mine was totally siezed up) but I don't know for sure, as my car is still not back on the road. They apparantly do some work for PCA racing, maybe some of the racers on the Board can comment.

Durabilt
2 East Bradford Pl
Bradley, IL 60915
1-800-346-8641

The car is back on the road now, and the turbo performs well.
epsylon  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will be checking into what it would cost to have a custom turbo setup in my car, the easiest solution would be fabricating a 4 bolt manifold/header for the 931. axis engineering does custom turbos here, i have seen some crazy things come out of their shop, a turbo motorcycle wierd. mind you this will be just for curiosity sake as i am sure it will be more $$$ then it is worth, can't hurt to check though.
South Padre Island
wdb  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pair of turbos on ebay, look good . looks like 3 bolt flange

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33742&item=2414709845
Paul  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad the 3 bolt flange is for the exhaust header pipe....
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wdb wrote:
heres some parts, a complete WINDBLOWN turbo system .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2413703233&category=33742

What turbo does it use?

Sprint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: