Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Mid-O report/discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Mid-O report/discussion Reply with quote

Just a quick recap for those who missed, and to start the discussion... I have to admit, looking out the window at the massive snowstorm right now, I can't believe I was racing yesterday! Can't believe we managed to sneak that one in...

Friday was all practice, I did not go on track, but I heard it was quite greasy in addition to being damp. The day was mostly showers, but we got one or two bouts of heavy rain. The most amusing was the Comp Licensing school, who had it start to truly come down in the middle of their practice race! They all learned plenty! As mentioned, Mark has his engine take a union break partway through the day, so he never really got to come play with us. We heard he's got a spare, so hope to see him at The Beav...

Saturday was drier, no real rain, just track and paddock drying out from Friday. It was quite cool, with a lot of wind making it really cold. Practice and Qual sessions went well enough, I believe - managed to get myself meatballed in practice due to a hanging exhaust. Minor enough. Then we got into the race, and everybody got into it! I'm trying to remember exactly how it all went down - didn't take video to refresh my memory - I remember seeing the 77 Yellow D962 spinning 2 or 3 times in front of me... then we finally got black-flagged around lap 8 or 10 when a Honda went over on his lid, ending the race. I didn't see that, so I don't know where he went over.

Sunday started colder, but with much less wind, so it was a little more tolerable, finally getting sun halfway through the day almost to the point of making it nice. Certianly in contrast to previously in the weekend! Didn't go out for Practice, but that and Qualifying passed no major issues. Then the race. Oh, the race.

It was pretty wild, some very large packs of cars (I think we still had about 35 cars in the Small Bore run group) all running together and working hard for position! Very exciting, and I believe rather clean (hadn't heard of any problems). Then around lap 4 Sean Tillinghast (GTS3 BMW M3) had a hard impact into the wall driver's left going into Thunder Valley when the steering wheel came off in his hands (!), resulting in a black flag all and the grid lined up in the pits. Lead lap cars were brought around to the front while Sean was brought in and the incident was cleaned up, then the pace car led us back out. At the end of the lap we shot off again and were back green! For one, maybe two laps! Then, with 3 more cars off of the Keyhole, including one Spec Miata into the tires, we were once again black flagged into the pits. At this point, our time limit was up, and the race was called at 6 laps. Very unfortunate, but understandable, given the circumstances.

Fortunately, Sean was generally OK - bit of a sore foot from the impact (as it was hard on the brake pedal at the time), he'll be sore this morning, but otherwise I believe he was OK. Not sure what shape the car is in.

What else... Ok, drivers, what the heck was going on in that restart pace lap??? Somebody up in the field came to a complete stop (from race speed) maybe mid-pack, which resulted in myself and the last few cars popping over the brow coming out of the esses (after Madness, at race speed) to field stopped and 100% track blockage! We were very lucky to not have a massive 5-car pileup right there! PLEASE be aware of the impacts your actions have on the drivers behind you!!! It is not acceptable to go from race speed to a dead stop under such conditions, with blind corners! Remember the accordion effect! If we had gotten together, that would have been the end of the race! I will post footage of this, you'll see what I mean. Remember, we've got to take the green before we can finish the race!
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
vehdyn  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous. The pictures look cool and I am looking forward to the videos.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks! Yes, pictures and results are now posted on the site.

Videos before too much longer...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
bmw22  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my engine.

I started working on my car as soon as I got home on Saturday. The #3 intake valve was busted off at the base of the valve stem and #3 piston was gone. The rod and rod pin was still intact. There was pieces of piston in all cylinders, the intake manifold and crankcase. I found one large chunk of piston that has a huge crease that the edge of the valve fits perfectly into. It is my gues that the valve broke off and was slammed around in the cylinder until the fatal blow when the piston came up and hit the valve on edge, exploding the piston.

The good news:

I will have another engine in it and ready to go this weekend.
325is GTS2 #22
mailto:markbarr@wpa.net
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! You mean the bits and pieces from the one bad cylinder redistributed themselves throughout the rest of the motor! Nasty! My condolences! Thank God for spares!
'82 931 Plat. Silver
vehdyn  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan,

Is there anyway that you could also put the year and type of car in the results table? Thanks.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, yeah... I ought to get around to doing that. We also have podium pics from Saturday's race on the way (Sundays trophy presentations were called off due to circumstances).

I sure hope the Bimmers can hold up a little better next round! The attrition was a little alarming...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
vehdyn  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope so. Must be all the extra weight. Ha!!!! That one was too easy. Thanks.
bmw22  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just wanted to give the P-cars a head start so that we're not to far ahead at the end of the season.
325is GTS2 #22
vehdyn  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like what Ferrari is doing in F1....
bmw22  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Good news!!! Reply with quote

I started my car this morning. The new engine sounds great. I'm a definite go for Beaverun.
325is GTS2 #22
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet...

With a nice big "For Sale" sign, eh?
'82 931 Plat. Silver
bmw22  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: It's a never ending saga... Reply with quote

...new engine in the car, running great, a take it for a spin on the country roads of western PA. While taching about 4500, a tapping developes, by the time get back to my garage the tapping is an all out knocking. All the signs of a rod bearing failure. Having just dropped the engine into the car, I'm in no hurry to yank it back out. So I devise a plan to allow the removal of the oil pan. Basically I had to remove the cross member and the steering rack so I would have room to drop the oil pan. The only problem is the engine mount are on the cross member. I suspended the engine from a piece of roll bar that rested on the fenders spanning the engine compartmeent. Then I unbolted the front suspension, steering and cross member and dropped them out as one assembly. Worked like a charm. Took off the oil pan and started checking the rod bearings. I began on cylinder 6, and there it was, a spun bearing that was wore to half of the original thickness. I decided to change them all so I replaced them with the bearings from my recently grenaded engine. Those bearings still looked like brand new. After a few hours of work, the car is back together and sounds great.
325is GTS2 #22
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is a great time to be able to drive your car on the street!!!

Glad to hear it's still alive... See you at the Beav, I trust? Still?

Hey, I should probably get you a count of how many GTS stickers we have left, see if we need to get any more made just yet...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
John Valko  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news:

I will have another engine in it and ready to go this weekend. :

Great news! I am the one driving the black four door m3 with Zone Guard on the car remember? Anyways, see you this weekend...

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: