Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

small block chevy (i know its been killed)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  

should i go with LS-1 or LT-4
LT-4
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
LS-1
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
hamster in wheel
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

wuilman  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: small block chevy (i know its been killed) Reply with quote

ok ok i know this subject has been murdered on this site....but im starting my porsche v8 project as well.and im taking automotive classes and i know how to weld and fabricate.im trying to get either an LS-1 from a newer camaro or an older LT-4 from a vette i need something '80 and up to pass smog.i already started by changing my springs i have the performance products 250lb springs (but they didnt lower the car?!?) and i have the 30mm torsion bars (i didnt know how hard it was to change the dam things till the time came).im in the process of ordering sway bar$.i also need shock absorbers (konis).im going to make my own fender flares and try to bolt in the 944 big red brake kit from brembo.ok so after getting that out of the way.does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of an 80 924 turbo motor.and any suggestions/comments/experiances from a v8 conversion (i e-mailed renegade hybrids personally and they only make the kit for 944/924s) and i was wondering what tranny would fit easiest in the 80 924 turbo.if some one could E-mail me or reply on here i would very much appreciate it!

sorry for the long post
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LS1 is a much more desireable swap candidate. It is lighter, stronger, more powerful, quieter, and better built than the previous generation of small block V8s. If you can find one cheap enough, I suggest you use it.

What condition is the 931 engine in? I would consider buying it from you. I have family in the bay area.
wuilman  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: 931 engine Reply with quote

the engine is from an '80 931.the car is currntly not running but it still cranks (some weird fuel pump issue) i dont feel like bothering with it so im just going to put a fuel cell in the back.i've only driven this car 5 times!and just to school to fix litle things here and there and to change the springs and do a tune up.when the car was running it had a weird miss at about 2500rpm till about 3200rpm after that the power would kick in and it would fly i've never gone past 4000rpm.the turbo was rebuilt by the previous owner .if your serious about wanting the engine i'll yank it out and we can arrange something, also if you want some parts (not necessary for the v8 )tell me and i might be willing to part with them or maybe we can trade for something i dunno contact me or something.

if anyone else is in the bay area and wants something too, we can work something out but im not going to ship anything in the mail (too many headaches)
wdb  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does'nt the vette, have a similar,torque tube,transaxle, settup . if you went with the vette , motor,tt,trans , you might have to have custom CV joints/ shafts made up to attach vette trans to porsche wheel assembly . and have to make some kind of carrier to mount the vette trans to the stock porsche trans mounts. maybe a scrap yard has the parts out of a vette ,that you can take pictures of and measure to see how hard it will be .
plunger  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the deep skirt on the LS1 will interfere with the crossmember and the steering rack, the LT4 won't. (with a modified oil pan) Swapping the complete drivetrain from the Vette does sound like a cool idea though.
wuilman  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: vette rear end Reply with quote

well i dont know about the vette tranny.my teacher owned a 76 vette and i worked on it a couple of times and it would be very very very very difficult because the porsche uses a different suspension and different mounting points and the damn vette had like 4 or 5 u-joints.now when it comes to the crossmember and motor mounts and modified oil pan im not afraid to cut weld and refabricate anything.but im having a hard time visualizing the torque tube and camaro bell housing.because i was wondering if i could just cut the front of a camaro clutch housing using the bolt pattern and welding that to the original porsche clutch housing and shortening the torque tube and maybe using a 951 tranny. my teacher said the 931 tranny would blow up under hard accelaration (dam he knows me too well ).my original plan called for a twin turbo set up but clearance problems and traction problems and other problems quickly shut me up.but my teacher suggested a supercharger and using a stroker kit with 6.00' connecting rods with worl products heads (220cc intake port and 74cc combustion chamber)what do you guys think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: