Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Electronic ignition systems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924SA  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Electronic ignition systems Reply with quote

Could someone please assist me. I race a 1976 924 in our local South African series. The ignition system still runs on points, no electronic ignition. I have read some literature that claims that Jacobs ignition systems are the way to go. Can anyone give me some info on what Jacobs system to use, or a better alternative to get some additional horsepower.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, cool, thanks for dropping in!

Unfortunately, except for maybe the Brits in the 924-Spec series, I think you're liable to get little in the way of responses - all the US cars had electronic ignitions! That might be a very inexpensive option, though you'd probably want the distributor recurved to fit your needs. Then just add a racing coil and perhaps an MSD or Permatune control box.

Myself I am using a Permatune control box in place of the stock electronic ignition, to gain a CD-type control.
http://www.permatune.com/

The reason I selected and suggest the Permatune was that they were used by the factory on some 911's, and are designed as a plug-in replacement for the stock system. An MSD system, while noticeably less expensive, will require some rewiring. OTOH, you have a racecar, so that may not be a concern!

Just suggestions of other options. MSD's are very popular here in the states, used in many race series:
http://www.msdignition.com/

I have no experience myself with the Jacobs products. Again, keep in mind that anyone here in the US is usually still using the stock electronic trigger - which works fine.

One final note would be do you wish to consider a programmable direct-fire ignition like a Haltech/Motec, or is that not allowed per the series rules? That would be the optimal, though very expensive, route.

I have heard from everyone I race with that all they do with distributors anyway is to just pin them and set for 36-38 degrees advance. I have yet to do this.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
simsport  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Emerald Reply with quote

I use Emerald M3D running full dizzyless ignition and fuel. It comes with the software to map and costs about 1100 dollars from Emerald in London, England.
The sytem works very well and is easy to set up. The designer (Dave Walker of Car & Car Conversions Mag)has written a Haynes guide book on engine management and includes a sample CD on how to map a car.
It comes with a full manual and loom.

I am biased as it has given me great service over the last 10 years.

Cheers
Simon
924SA  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info gents. I will investigate further and tell you where I ended up and what difference if any the change made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: