Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

No Spark

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: No Spark Reply with quote

I just got this information from Smoothie about my DITC system and I wired it according to what he said except, I only have 6 wires not 7 and I have know Green wire for the Tach that goes on pin 2 is that a problem?

Anyway I have Know spark and I'm lost! I changed the Coil, Distributor cap and roter, new plugs and wires and I tested the flywheel sensor and according to the haynes manual it good. Now what, any suggestion would be a great help. I know you can tell I don't know to much about this Porsche. I'm trying to learn this a project for me.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright - just spotted a screwup in the Porsche manual... Pg 28-37 shows ditc pin #2 as "green" and "tachometer", but the wiring diagram (pg 97-5) doesn't show a wire to a pin #2. It only shows pins 3,5,7,9,11,12 plus 13,14,15 for the other connector on pg 97-5, so forget about #2...

Could be a bad wire somewhere. Could be a bad ignition module (mounted on left fender). Just a couple of possibilities. As Peter in AU says, "Learn to make love to your multimeter" ...or how did that go?

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info I throught I had a wire missing. Changed the ignition module because I have two and still no spark? I'll try troubleshooting the system. Do you think that the ignition switch could be bad? I have the haynes manual. The car hasn't been started since 1995.
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, check voltages at all the appropriate places, and check the condition of all the fuses to ensure current is flowing through them. You're going to want to see if your coil is getting voltage with the key in the on position, etc.

If your flywheel sensor fails, your car will not spark. I'd look into the flywheel sensor connection. Clean it and see if it works. If not, you can try replacing it, but it's pretty expensive ($80 or so at the dealer, IIRC). Otherwise, your DITC box itself could be shot.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely - first place to look if no spark, the flywheel sensor. According to the factory manual, if this fails, it fails. Will not run at all. It is conceivable that the ignition module (on the front left fender, separate from the DITC) could be bad, so swap it if you have a spare, but I wouldn't label it as the first thing to go bad.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
porschetroy  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just helped a friend with the same problem. His would only start and run very roughly when he jumped from the battery to the coil. The problem finally turned out to be the corroded ground lugs above the fuse panel, a bad ignition switch, and a bad fuel pump relay. The ignition switch was the biggest surprise because it sent power to the coil when it was in the on position but when you turned it to start and let it come back, there was a certain position at which it cut the power again - every time! We resolved the corroded ground lugs by removing all the wires, removing the mounting bolts, wire brushing everything, and reassembling with OxySolv. It runs like a champ now. -Good Luck
gohim  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defective electrical portions of the ignition switch are a common problem.the total electrical load is higher than the switch contacts are rated for.

That's why Porsche tried to reduce the load on the ignition switch on the later cars with things like the radio relay. The radio relay just turned out to be a waste of money because most stereo installers don;t even know it is there, and wire directly to the ignition switch (causing further problems).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: