Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

engine swap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidwithaporsche  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: engine swap Reply with quote

hi, i own a 1980 924 turbo. right now it is a pos. however instead of sending it to the junkyard, i want to make it fast. so, i was wondering what would be a good engine to drop into it would be?
81turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Go to the Engine Swap Forum.

2) NONE.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well your nickname is right

but in truth don't bother build the 931 engine and add a 944 intercooler it will be a quick car,

if you do swap in a small block V8 then you will mess up the weight ratio and decrease handling,

but if you do the swap get pictures and let us know
kidwithaporsche  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will everything fit together properly or is it going to be a hassle to drop it in
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no bolt-in engine swaps for the 924/931.
kidwithaporsche  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then what would i have to change to make it fit
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok lets try this,

#1 what engine do you want to drop in?
#2 are good at fabricating items (i.e. motor mounts)
#3 do you have money, it is going to be aroung $2k to do a good job with a good motor(price probably low)
#4 why not do up the 931 engine
#5 there are NO bolt in kits for any other engines, and the way the cross member is, if you drop in a small block chevy/ford engine you are going to have to fab a custom oil pan, do a custom clutch package, move brake booster, fab motor mounts, it is going to be alot of work

basicly I am saying if you want a vehicle with alot of punch, get a chevy camaro, or equivilent, if you want a car that is going to out handle those ricer gangsta wannabe's the 931 it for you, but do be aware as an older vehicle there are going to be things that will fail, so there will be some money needed to keep it running,

if it is a late 931 you might have issues with the DITC unit, so might want to change that right away or keep a spare in the glove box
81turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has an 80, So the DITC is not an issue.

As far as the swap goes, You are really looking at more time than it is worth. Youthful zeal only gets you so far. Hell your better off than most of the guys here who want a blazingly fast 924 N/A. At least you are starting with the turbo. If you do not plan on fixing it, you should sell parts off it to help get somethig else.
CBass  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put a V8 in a 924, you will need 4 things, in this particular order.

1) Someone who knows what they are doing, could be you, could be someone else.

2) Money. Lot's of it, you're going to need a lot of stuff custom made, and you'll need to invest in some lightweight parts if you still want it to handle well.

3) Time, don't expect to do this in a weekend, there is a lot of research and developement you will have to do.

4) Patience, there will be a hundred screwups and things you'll have to do over again.

If you want a light car that looks like a 924 with a V8 in it, get an RX7. It's so easy to put a V8 in one that it hurts. The 5.0 Mustang engine in the first generation RX7 is the easiest swap, everything just bolts right in, and it really can be done in a weekend.

These guys can set you up with everything you need.

http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/rx7.html

Furthermore, I'd suggest fixing up the 931, or selling it to someone here, it would be a shame to see another rare turbocharged Porsche go to the crushers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction.......There is a bolt in conversion kit available for the Chev swap......but the guys are right...unless you have above average mecahnic skills OR a pocket overburden with$$$...don't go there.

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
J1NX3D  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id do up the 931 engine as well, but if ur not convinced then here. But your better off starting with a 944 or even better a 944 turbo. But then the latter is fast enuff/ has more potential anyway.
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit is no longer available, PORSCHEV.
turbobob9242  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: RE Chevy engine swap for a 924 Reply with quote

The guys at renegade are only selling 944 kits now, this is true but they can be modified to work in a 924. Lots of work though.

I will offer most of my old renegade kit for sale and can make pictures and post to my website if needed.

I had a Chevy V-6 for a couple of years and decided that the 229 platform was out of options. I wanted too much mroe power for the $$.

I am willing to sell most of the orginal swap parts to someone who wants to go a V-6 route.

The Chevy 4.3 truck engines are easy to get and it will be a very easy swap! I actually started to do this but got a bad motor from the junk yard, make sure you hear it run before you from yards!

Here is what I have to sell:

custom motor mounts that mount on the cross member
custom headers to clear the steering linkage
custom exhaust front section with cat converter.
an old tilton hydraulic throwout bearing. works but you can use as guide to replace it
custom bellhousing
munchie mount for the hydrolic TO
Custom engine accessories to use only a alternator and shorter waterpump and holds the water overfill
short waterpump
custom thermostat housing with peacock to drain system of air
turbo 924 front springs. the extra weight of the V-6 is no problem!

I still have to early style custom oil pan for the 229. If you go with a chevy astro van pan, fits W/O any mods!

I will include plans and specs for the custom alumumum adaptor plate to connect to the porsche torque tube, I'm still using mine. FYI you need to swap to a 944 trans and tube. Stock 924 shaft is too weak.

I would go with TBI setup, much easier. Some hood clearance issues though. I was using an edlebrock 4 barrel carb setup.

I'm going to post this in the for sale area as well.

Please don't flame me, anybody interested send me an email!!

http://www.turbo924.com
bward@newtekdata.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: