Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

please help me make my turbo run

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: roberttreherne@prodigy.net
Date: 15 Jul 2001
Time: 20:58:47

I have an 82 turbo which has been sitting for a few years I have replaced the fuel filter , fuel pumps ,fuel distributor and it still wont run correctly. when it is cold it will start and I can hold it at around 2000 rpm for as long as I want but it will not idle and if I try to start it again it will only just turn over but it will start up if I let it sit for a while and cool.
If anybody has any ideas please help Thanks Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: l_porsche@hotmail.com
Time: 21:41:22

Thats the mixture!!
Its not rich enough...........take teh 3mm allen key, crank the mixture screw about a 1/4 of a turn clockwise.......REMEMBER what you have done, mark it down, so incase something goes wrong you can turn it back to wear it was............If clockwise 1/4 doesn't do it.........then do it a half of a turn.........etc....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: buwani@napanet.net
Time: 22:34:55

Check the FAQ,s on cold start system..I wouldn't mess with the mixture until you know that your cold start system is working correctly.
Make sure the aux air valve, cold start injector and thermo time switch (if you can get to it) are working.
I would also check throtle plate for clearance .Haynes covers it.

Shawn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 22:52:53

when the car doesn't start up and take s a few seconds to crank it, that is when the cold start valve is the culprit....

after screwing aroudn with my 31 for a couple of months i found that if the car got started but wouldn't stay running when cold, it was always the mixture.
can't do any harm if you mark it down how much you have turned it. Some peopl r just too lazy to do it (pen and paper, or your brain), so then they come back and complain to me "lars, i don't know where my mixture was set at now my car is all messsed up its yor fault"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: david.c.russell@lmco.com
Date: 18 Jul 2001
Time: 15:33:53

The last thing you should do is ajust the mixture. The mixture cannot get off by itself. So, unless the previous owner ajusted the mixture off, it is probably set correctly. What is more likely is that since the car has been setting, one or more of the vacuum hoses has cracked. You will be sucking air through the crack, causing too lean of a mixture. Ajusting to compensate for this will only complicate your problem. Find and replace the leaking rubber. You might consider replacing all of the rubber, including the coolant hoses, as they will all go soon, just causing you one problem after another. Rubber was not designed to last for 20 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Date: 20 Jul 2001
Time: 13:57:48

Actually, one of the first things that a new owner should always consider, is mixture.

The misture can very easily get wacked by itself. Location, altitude, season, weather...they all drastically affect the mixture.
On a CIS injection car, that is one of its main weak points.
Go buy a 931 in colorado, bring it to california, car won't run.

oxygen content in the air.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: