Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

rear axle nuts

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: badenkb@hotmail.com
Date: 18 Jul 2001
Time: 06:31:17

HI All,

I'll shortly be starting to overhaul the rear brakes of my 77 924 n/a, but was wondernig what the size of the axle nut is? I have nothing big enough so will have to buy something - trouble is what is its size and what do people recommend ?

Thanks

Ian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: bcookt06394@yahoo.com
Time: 08:13:48

You will need LOTS of torque. Spec is something like 400lbs. A good impact wrench is highly recommended.

bc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: vscott77@nospam.hotmail.com
Time: 08:39:17

It's 36mm, get a 36mm 3/4" drive socket and a 3/4" breaker bar. Anything less than that you stand a high chance of just snapping. You will need a 4' piece of good pipe also, to slide over the end of the breaker bar. Plus someone to stand on the brakes while you crack it loose.

I recommend, remove the wheel, remove the cotter pin, reinstall the wheel without center cap, put the car on the ground so it's stable, then break the nut loose. It's a couple of extra steps, but safer the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: l_porsche@hotmail.com
Time: 10:50:59

Yes don't get the 1/2 inch socket and use an adapter...I tried that and the adapter broke...good thing it comes with lifetime warranty.

You can usually loan these size sockets at auto stores, but where i live they are 1/2 drive sockets on loan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: badenkb@hotmail.com
Time: 12:52:43

Thanks for the info - a fun filled weekend beckons....

ian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: materry@krl.org
Date: 20 Jul 2001
Time: 02:04:57

Ian,

I'm probably the least experienced of the folks that read and write here. But when I had to remove the rear axle nut, my friend Jerry said, "Get a rattler (impact wrench) at the Rent-It-Cntr and save yourself some grief."

I did and it did.

Marsh

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: