Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Air/Water Intercooler anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
twt  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Air/Water Intercooler anyone? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Has anyone considered a air/water intercooler for the 931? I've been checking up on it and it seems like a good alternative to the GT style intercooler (problem with heat soak at low speeds, don't have to cut bonnet) and a front mounted one (long piping and space constraints).

Anyone have any suggestions/comments on this? Is it worth the effort?

-Wen
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the major downside to an air/water intercooler compared to air/air is the weight and complexity.

Take a look at the series of articles starting at http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0084 where they show what's involved.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
81turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem is that there is absolutely nowhere to put it all. It is much easier to just run the air-to-air intercooler
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anyone running AC and an intercooler?
81turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does A/C have to do with the intercooler?
twt  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An air/air intercooler might be easier if top mounted but then I would have to cut my hood which I don't want to do (I want a bolt on). Besides, I think a hood scoop plus the NACA duct just doesn't look good.

If I take a small air/air intercooler core and wrap it with a water jacket to become an air/water unit, I should be able to fit it under the hood without cutting. Furthermore, I can route the water lines to wherever I can fit a small radiator. By doing this I will have an inline intercooler with mininal pressure loss and still be able to transfer heat out from the air, through the water, to wherever I can fit another radiator.

I know it sounds kinda simplistic and the details will be a lot of work but don't you think it might be a good alternative since the engine bay is too cramp to put in a large unit but there are small pockets of space around where one might be able to fit a water pump here, a resevoir there, and with water piping everywhere....

I've found a small intercooler core around 7"x8"x2" size and am wondering if that will be able to remove enough heat to actually make a difference.

Another question... does anyone know how much clearance there is between the engine and the hood? Also, what is the thickness of the GT intercooler?

Thanks!

-Wen Tai
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: