Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 oil line

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: pholiat@aol.com
Date: 11 Jul 2001
Time: 22:39:36

I need to know the purpose of this oil line for the 931. The part# is 931 107 108 08 (for anyone that cares), and its supposed to be for the '81 931,but my '80 931 has this part. Basically, the thick oil line goes from the oil pan (running on the turbo side of the engine) and into the turbo. This oil line is different form the earlier oil lines in that it has a small metal box in the middle of the oil line with a thin metal tube coming from it that bends up and around the front of the engine and attaches to the head by the intake side.
My question is what is the purpose of this metal box and tube that connects to the head? Does it act as an oil/air separator? I Doubt it. Does it act as an alternative source for oil to get to the cam? My reason for asking is that the oil line is leaking and needs to be replaced. I want to use steel braided hose and fabricate a replacement for the box. I priced this oil line in an old Porsche retail price book and this oil line retails for over $400 –I kid you not. It’s probably around $150 now, but I still would rather spend less money for a steel-braided set up than OEM rubber. When I take it apart I will post my results, but in the mean time, any thoughts on this box and its purpose.

-Peter A. Holiat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: pholiat@aol.com
Date: 11 Jul 2001
Time: 22:55:41

I just check the parts archive and this box is indeed an air/oil separator with the caption stating "lists for $400 and last bought on Rennlist NOS for $135."
Well, I don't want to pay $135. My idea is to use steel braided hose with AN and metric adapters and Tee into the line some GM or Chevy air/oil separator maybe from an American racing catalog like Jegs or Summit Racing etc. Anyone have any ideas on the type of unit I need.
I know from earlier posts that Jon or Vaughan had an oil leak around the turbo, was it this line and if so are you going with OEM or fabricating your own?
-Peter A. Holiat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: vscott77@nospam.hotmail.com
Date: 12 Jul 2001
Time: 08:02:49

Yes, I had a leak, but no, it was not w/ this hose... it was at the turbo feed line on the top side of the mounting bracket. I've just gotten the turbo in, but still have to reinstall the wastegate, oil filter housing, and exhaust, but I'm heading out to the track tomorrow with the 924, so no results fixing the leak yet or too soon... maybe next week...

Vaughan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: a924carrera_gt@hotmail.com
Date: 15 Jul 2001
Time: 20:26:56

The line you talk about was added by the factory in late 1980 and by many dealers after that to improve the flow back inot the sump from the turbo. Supposedly it allows the ait in the oil back ito the cam cover and from there to ?.

Supposedly it provide better live for the turbo - I don't have it on mine and the current turbo has done over 100,000 miles so it seems as if you don't really require it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: