Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Need Help, plz help if you can

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: dy15@yahoo.com
Date: 13 Jul 2001
Time: 00:19:03

ok, I just got my '78 924 NA working a few weeks ago, it drives fine but I have some questions about it.

#1. The fuel pump runs forever with the key in the on position. I've checked the relay, actually swapped it out and it still does this. Any ideas? I know it is supposed to run until it gets up to pressure then cut out, but it doesn't.

#2. When I go to put the car in reverse the gears grind, like when you don't engage the clutch all the way. But the clutch is fine and is fully engaged when I shift. The only way I can get it in Reverse is to just force it. Clutch works fine for all the other gears so it's not that.

#3. There is some squealing noise from the bell housing where the clutch is when the car is idleing but once you get the revs up to about 1200rpm it stops. It doesn't matter if your in gear out of gear or have the clutch engaged. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

#4. when I start the car the oil pressure is about 4 bar, but after it's run for about 5 minutes it drops to about 1/4 bar or lower and the oil pressure light comes on along with the e-brake light. if I rev the engine a little the light goes out and the pressure comes back up a little but it'll go back down in a few seconds. Since both lights go on and I know there is plenty of oil in the engine I'm guessing the engine just needs to be cleaned out with some kerosene or the oil pressure sensor is shot. Give me your opinion.

is there some kind of vent on the gas tank to let air in? after a while I get very resticted flow out of my gas tank, but when I remove the gas cap it speeds back up. The tank is clean, I just cleaned it out.

Thanks in advance for all the help

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: elynch@itt.com
Time: 07:24:46

Not sure about all the issues you have but the grinding is very tipical.
Do this when ever shifting into 1st or reverse and you will have not further issues.
Shift into 2nd gear first and then dirrectly into 1st, or reverse depending on what
dirrection you want to go.
As far as the senor readings check all the wires before you try to get the oild pressure
switch out. It is not very accessable.
If I think of anything else I will be back. It is early and I am very tired... not awake yet.

Eric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: vscott77@nospam.hotmail.com
Time: 08:18:13

#3 sounds like pilot bearing in the flywheel, not easy to get to... do it next time you do a clutch.

#4a also there are a few other oiling issues to check. Try replacing the oil pressure relief valve piston and spring as described in the Tech Section under Engine, and replace the plastic elbow on the cam oiler tube. Wiring is easily checked by grounding the wire that goes to the gauge sender - the oil press gauge should max out. If not, you have an issue inbetween the sender and gauge.

#4b - yes, there's a vent up top, a vent hose. I think it goes to the charcoal canister up front under the left fender. Could be plugged...

Vaughan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: Peter@planb.net.au
Date: 14 Jul 2001
Time: 20:29:24

the reverse gear thing is probably, at least partially, due to the early gearboxes not having syncromesh on reverse gear. Can't remember where I read that, Haynes perhaps.

Mine usually grinds a bit (sometimes a lot) going into reverse when it's hot and I stop and put it into reverse, if I wait a second or two before putting it into reverse, less or no grinding. Annoying but not life-threatening.

Peter in Sydney AU.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: dy15@yahoo.com
Date: 14 Jul 2001
Time: 22:23:23

see that is interesting because my other '78 doesn't grind at all.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: