Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Transaxle Rebuild Shop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:27 am    Post subject: Transaxle Rebuild Shop Reply with quote

Hey all,

So I have a few (4) spare G31 transaxles and want to have one good one made from the lot. There used to be a place in either Commie-Fornia or Arizona that could do this and even made a few of the gears.

For the life of me I cannot remember who it was. Can anyone here point me in the right direction please ?

Leigh
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used to make stuff back in the ideola days, when i rebuilt mine a bit.

https://californiamotorsports.net/
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric my man !! That is too funny that it was California Motorsports IN Arizona, haha.

Just called them and it looks like my daughter and I will be taking a road trip down to Lake Havasu in mid-June to drop these bad boys off for a re-build !

Thanks so much for remembering that name brother !

Leigh
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenodog wrote:
Cedric my man !! That is too funny that it was California Motorsports IN Arizona, haha.

Just called them and it looks like my daughter and I will be taking a road trip down to Lake Havasu in mid-June to drop these bad boys off for a re-build !

Thanks so much for remembering that name brother !

Leigh

Im glad i could help, these small companies arent easy to find online sadly, especially since google is bloated to a point its almost unusable.

Please gives us an update when youve been there, so we know what they still do for these boxes
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I was just in Lake Havasu for a couple of weeks... fighting with transaxle issues... if only I'd have known these guys were in town...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Vaughn,

Man, Lake Havasu is a looong ways from Michigan....lol. Super secret government job or vacay in the 924 ?
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super-secret work job!

Ford I mean Chrysler nee FCA maybe Stellantis who the hell knows next Proving Grounds are out there (Stellantis laid off 400 engineers while we were there, was a bit of a bad vibe)... we were renting access there to conduct testing for another customer who doesn't have their own PG...

Said other customer sorta isn't to be named, but relevant to the interests of all here, famous in the restomod market... ultra-fast and ultra-expensive sports cars with transaxles...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us in the loop on how this turns out, and I will probably contact California Motorsports about parts for my G31 - especially the unobtanium first gear. Mine's just good enough to function, but bad enough that replacement is a priority. Second gear may be damaged too. Given the state it's in, I can't see the damage being limited to the syncros - even if it was carefully driven by somebody who cared (which doesn't seem likely). I'm capable of doing the work myself, and that will probably be necessary given my budget (not sure I want to know what the parts alone will cost). If they're willing to work with me, I'll probably buy everything through them - might not be the cheapest, but if they've got it all, it's worth it over flailing to find the sellers and specialty suppliers they probably talk to all the time.
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vaughn....you have possibly the coolest job ever and I'm extremely jealous and for that I say.......... dick. ( :

Beartooth for a heads up I also contacted a closer shop to both you and I - EBS Racing in Sparks ,NV and to be honest I am actually thinking of taking my boxes there instead since it is a good 20+ hrss less driving time for me to get there and back. Don at EBS said they work closely with California and getting parts from them is dead easy. I have bought a TON of stuff from EBS and they have been on the business for a long time so I personally trust them to do something simply like rebuild a G31.

I also found out something odd from California, the 1st (and possibly 2nd) gear sets from a 1979 931 were also used in the RUF 911

2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

Yeah, Don and EBS are great to work with, I've been using them for a long time for various bits...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenodog wrote:
Hey Vaughn....you have possibly the coolest job ever and I'm extremely jealous and for that I say.......... dick. ( :

Beartooth for a heads up I also contacted a closer shop to both you and I - EBS Racing in Sparks ,NV and to be honest I am actually thinking of taking my boxes there instead since it is a good 20+ hrss less driving time for me to get there and back. Don at EBS said they work closely with California and getting parts from them is dead easy. I have bought a TON of stuff from EBS and they have been on the business for a long time so I personally trust them to do something simply like rebuild a G31.

I also found out something odd from California, the 1st (and possibly 2nd) gear sets from a 1979 931 were also used in the RUF 911

The G31 is very simple, i rebuilt mine with the guide thats floating around, there are other boxes that are more complicated, like the Audi boxes. Especially if you only will change 1st and second. If the Don guy has done other gear boxes before the g31 shouldn't cause any issues.
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only gather a little of what you do Vaughn, but I think I'm jealous too... I'll have to check in with EBS. It's definitely a job better left to professionals, but I've gone through one transmission successfully (a ZF5) - this doesn't look too much different, and I've found what should be enough data and documentation to do it right. Also, the savings should open up enough money to afford a new set of pistons instead of monkeying with used ones. It's funny how these things find a way to eat every penny - "rich" to me would be doing this kind of stuff without even thinking about how much it's costing, but thank God I can afford to get this far!
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider doing mine but honestly, I just don't have the time.

The $1,500 they want to do it properly is worth it to me just for the time it allows me to go out and do other stuff or work on the car itself. And then there's the piece of mind that it won't grenade at 200 kph on the Kanadian Autobahn haha.

Also, I need them to re-pack the LSD in the diff then check the shims and backlash etc. and that job is far beyond my technical skills I can say.
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenodog wrote:

The $1,500 they want to do it properly is worth it to me just for the time it allows me to go out and do other stuff or work on the car itself. And then there's the piece of mind that it won't grenade at 200 kph on the Kanadian Autobahn haha.

Also, I need them to re-pack the LSD in the diff then check the shims and backlash etc. and that job is far beyond my technical skills I can say.

Sounds reasonable, its time consuming for sure, and of course theres always the risk of breaking something:)
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenodog wrote:

I'm with you there: if I had the budget, I'd probably just ship it off to the experts. That said, even if money is no concern, DIY is a good excuse to buy more tools! But you've gotta have the time too, and I definitely know the apprehension of driving something after a big job that was a stretch of my skill level - especially when it's something you can't just grab another from the junk yard and start over with. That's why it's a good idea to learn on something that sold in six-digit annual figures, but I don't do a good job of taking my own advice.

Cedric wrote:

The G31 is very simple, i rebuilt mine with the guide thats floating around, there are other boxes that are more complicated, like the Audi boxes. Especially if you only will change 1st and second. If the Don guy has done other gear boxes before the g31 shouldn't cause any issues.

That's good to hear. My ZF5 wasn't too bad; getting the main shaft apart took some doing, as did wrestling the the whole assembly into the case without the assembly jig, but otherwise it was just a matter of getting it together in the order it came apart. I need to get the car out and do a more thorough evaluation of 3-4-5; maybe I'll get lucky and only have to worry about first and second. If I'm really lucky, it'll just be a few syncros, first gear, and the 1st/reverse sleeve, but who knows what I'll find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: