Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Seat repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RVA  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:33 am    Post subject: Seat repair Reply with quote

Both my driver and passener seat have this split. Whats the best way to repair this? I know it won't be perfect but i am just looking for a budget DIY way to do this, because i like the pasha seats, Good used pasha seats are just way out of my budget unfortunatly.

And yeah it might not look amazing but anything is better than this.

[/url]
Riggard  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, I don't think there's an easy way to repair these. The problem is that the fabric is worn and when you try to sew something onto the fabric, it'll just tear again.

Hate to say it, but the only option is to get replacement covers.
copeina  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, it'll never look perfect again, but this is what I have done in the past:

Remove the cover, pull the seam together as best you can and restitch it. Then take a 2 or 3 inch wide tie-down or tow-strap type material (I literally use old tie-down straps for this), lay it over the seam and stich 1 or 2 parallel rows on either side of the seam. I use an old sewing machine and it had no problem on the heavy strap material.

This transfers the stress to a wider area and should last a long time unless your fabric is already at that "turning to dust" stage.

At this point, it's worth a try. Hope that helps.

/Kris
RVA  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay thanks for the replay. I will give that a try
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is the condition of the seat bottom foam. If it's totally shot that puts even more stress on the seams. New seat bottom foam is available from Porsche but it's not inexpensive.

I recovered a set of 944 seats and installed them in my car. You might want to see how the seats come apart and how the covers are installed. Taking apart the seats and removing the old cover with out doing more damage might be tricky. But there will be even more stress when reinstalling the cover. It's not easy to explain, there are metal rods that go through the fabric to hold it in place, those have to be pulled down to the frame (I used cable ties) and then hog rings are reinstalled. The pictures in the links below are worth a thousand words.

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=44534

https://only944.com/instructions/seatcover-944-855-91-page1/
RVA  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took the covers off yesterday, i didn't break anything luckily, but there was only 1 metal rod in the bottem seat cover. And a thin metal wire that went all the way around. Maybe because the seats are from a early 924 and not a 944? maybe they used different metal rods.

Anyways i am going to get the covers repaired locally at a reupholstery place, i realised that whatever i try to do myself will probably just completely ruin the covers even more.

The foam on the passenger seat is pretty good, however on the driver seat looks like someone has been in there before and the lower foam (where you sit on) looks much taller, i believe its foam from a sport seat however they used the covers from the normal seats. Which is probably why the covers broke because that caused to much tension/strain on the seams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: