Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Replacement Caliper Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924-UK  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:23 am    Post subject: Replacement Caliper Options Reply with quote

My front right caliper is seized. I could send it away for a refurb but wondered if there are any other options out there for the 4 stud cars?

I've read a couple of posts about a VW Passat caliper which bolts straight on but can't find a part number to try and source a pair.

I say this as the front left bleed nipple is totally rusted and I know that as soon as I try and bleed that side it will snap.

Any info would be much appreciated.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think there are any good options for simple replacement, at least not with the correct piston size. I think a rebuild shouldn't be that bad, most likely it will need a new piston(if its the piston that is stuck )on the stuck caliper. Used callipers is an option but those would be stupid to put on without a light refurb anyway.
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilding the calipers is pretty easy.
Push out the piston in the seized caliper while connected to the car, obviously without being mounted on the rotor. It can be difficult to remove them on the bench.

Bleeders could look horrible and not be stuck and the other way around, so it might be worth to put a wrench on it carefully.
Soaking rusty parts in an acid bath can free up rusty threads, and of cause rust everywhere else. I prefer Phosphoric acid in a ~20% solution. Pretty safe, won't burn of your skin if you get it on you, at least not immediately. Many use citric acid, haven't tried that, might just take a little longer time.

Obviously heat too...
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Max at Frazerpart to see if he has any exchange calipers. Or you need to remove and send to Big Red or similar for refurb, or rebuild yourself

Highly recommend 924 owners club uk for your local questions. Theres people in your area that can assist for sure on resurrecting the car
Mkol  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread, I had the similar issues a month or so ago and managed to get through it. The bleed nipple can be extracted with a bit of patience and a few tricks.
If you have the calliper of the car then the piston can be removed, try compressed air through the brake line inlet or if you don’t have a compressor then you can use a foot pump with a bit of creativity!

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=46012
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to the party but 91 Passat Calipers work.

I ordered Centric brand(PN# 14133030) 1991 Passat calipers for $36 each from rockauto.

I have failed to upload pics of them on the car, but they were direct bolt on. Other thread
https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=40924&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

[/quote]
1981 Weissach Edition #179
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: