Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Haltech, Cam Trigger, Individual Coils, on the 931EFR Oh My!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lildude4life  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
Nice with some results! Could you possibly get a graph that has less brutal smoothening factor, it would be great to see how it really looks like. How does the boost curve looks like?

Yes lol. Pretty sure he took a screenshot with his phone and texted it to me. Ill get a nice printout when I get the car later this week.

I know he said max boost doesn't hit unitil like 4500ish? Last chart he gave me had all 3 tracks on it so I would expect I can get the same.
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lildude4life wrote:
261whp/ 245lbft super happy. EDIT. these numbers were with 109oct. He was hoping he could hold the timing and boost levels when he went back to 93 as he knew he could go further than 16.5 with 109,,, but he could not.... likely going to be in the 14.5psi, 240whp/220lbft range.

Wow. That's great.

Maybe I missed it....did you also upgrade the heat exchanger up front?
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did but I can't find the link for you...I'll dig around if he doesn't reply
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
lildude4life  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck21401 wrote:

Wow. That's great.

Maybe I missed it....did you also upgrade the heat exchanger up front?

Yes. Went just a little bigger... I can post more photo's next week of it installed if interested. Out of town this weekend, picking the car up Monday.

chuck21401  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lildude4life wrote:

Yes. Went just a little bigger... I can post more photo's next week of it installed if interested. Out of town this weekend, picking the car up Monday.

Great. Will be interested to see how you mounted it. I mounted a larger one as well and it seems to bean improvement but I really need a better set up to measure intake air temperatures.

I ran into a small problem with air in the system...took a while to figure that out. I was using h20 only so wasn't a big deal when bleeding the system and spilling water everywhere. As the temps go down I'll need to switch back to antifreeze 50/50.

I've also noticed that the radiator fan does a nice job pulling the air through the heat exchanger at idle. So that helps too.
lildude4life  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck21401 wrote:

Great. Will be interested to see how you mounted it. I mounted a larger one as well and it seems to bean improvement but I really need a better set up to measure intake air temperatures.

Here you go! Get a GM fast responce sensor and put it in the stock air temp location. It seems the best.. Not sure if it works with your setup. I just had to add about 5oz of water to the IC loop.. Still pumped fine but was clearly way low. I did make a container that you can put in line at the top of the IC to help fill it. I'll take a video if I use it.

Yes lots of elbows......

I did have to drill 2 holes for the M8 studs to go through.

Mike9311  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the '82 I added a bleeder by drilling a hole in the 90 deg elbow at the back of the intercooler, it being the highest point. Threaded for a small NPT plug. Inspired by the bleeder at the thermostat housing. used a tiny funnel to fill after that

Just kept opening that up to bleed over the period of a few drives.

Probably could come up with a system to power fill from below but too much trouble.

The CS has a fill cap inline with the hose up top
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Juho  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do u have picture how and where u mounted knock sensor, ive never tuned a car and decided to go with wasted spark so a knock sensor would be nice
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juho wrote:
Do u have picture how and where u mounted knock sensor, ive never tuned a car and decided to go with wasted spark so a knock sensor would be nice

Check under the intake on the block, there's a very good hole that you can use there. What does wasted spark has to do with knock?
Juho  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
Juho wrote:

Check under the intake on the block, there's a very good hole that you can use there. What does wasted spark has to do with knock?

I just mean ive never tuned a car and im converting into a wasted spark system and probaly will tune ignition to a some point. I have friend who has tuned itbs before but i would like a knock sensor
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juho wrote:
Cedric wrote:
Juho wrote:

I just mean ive never tuned a car and im converting into a wasted spark system and probaly will tune ignition to a some point. I have friend who has tuned itbs before but i would like a knock sensor

Ok i get it, its of course less sensitive on an n/a engine. But it could be a good idea to learn how to tune and setup knock detection on an engine like yours that won't grenade itself easily. What system are you planning to use?
lildude4life  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juho wrote:

Ask and you shall receive! Kinda hard to take a photo of, but I think you should be able understand it.

chuck21401  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lildude4life wrote:

How did the larger heat exchanger work out?

I'm thinking about going bigger. My car no longer has A/C so I think there is plenty of room.

This one is 20" X 8" X 2:

https://www.edelbrock.com/dual-pass-single-row-universal-heat-exchanger-20-w-8-h-2-d-20-500-btu-15549.html

mattmax1981  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool build!
What type of alternator are you running? Did you have to do much fab work to mount it?
lildude4life  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattmax1981 wrote:
Very cool build!
What type of alternator are you running? Did you have to do much fab work to mount it?

Howdy. I have the one Dan use to sell. I don't know exact model but I imagine someone on here does. No modifications needed other than a smaller belt. Stock lenth was too loose.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190422165911/https://garage.ideola.com/prod-ElectricsUpgrades.html#OEM

chuck21401 wrote:

How did the larger heat exchanger work out?

I'm thinking about going bigger. My car no longer has A/C so I think there is plenty of room.

Sorry for the year late reply, but I did want to run it again for another summer before I could truly answer. I think pretty well. I haven't done a ton of data logging but have never had knock issues on normal boost even in sweltering conditions. Still get the knock warning when I go in to "go baby go mode" and it slams up to 16psi in 2nd and 3rd. I don't think any amount of cooling will help with that. Probably going to dial the target back a bit so I can still have a low/high but without knock light tripping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: