Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

What about a vr5 swap???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RVA  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:02 am    Post subject: What about a vr5 swap??? Reply with quote

There is a lot of topics about audi 5 cylinder swaps either the older AAN i believe (could be wrong) or the newer 07k.

There is also some posts about vr6 swaps but i don't know if someone actually did that. Most of the time you would hear people saying that its too heavy and not worth it.

But what about the 2.3 vr5 volkswagen engine AQN. It has 170 hp, close to 190 hp with some mods, and its lighter and smaller. Sounds incredible too.
They are also dirt cheap, about €500 for a good condition.

Has anyone ever tried this?

To me it sounds like an amazing idea.
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some newer engines are amazing.
The 5cyl sounds fantastic, i drive a diesel 5 cyl every day and even that one sounds amazing.
But sadly you wont get a road legal car, and if you dont have experience building cars to a certain extent, you risk junking your car.
If hp is your goal, there are countless examples of how to get that using the original 924 engine, while on a budget and still keeping it a road legal car.

I also made a supercharger bolt on kit for the 2L 924, and i’m now working on a plug in, bolt on efi kit. With those two you can rival the performance of the engine swap you mentioned and get a very special soundtrack as well.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VR engines are really heavy, thats for sure, probably the vr5 aswell. The vr6 sound can really be glorious, haven't heard a vr5 in anger though. But from a performance perspective it is probably better to use what you have already adm boost it in some way. Its hell of a lot of work and money to do a good engine swap, you better be sure you really want it, and have the skills and Money to pull it of. The after market for the vr5 is probably alot smaller than the vr6 i would guess.
RVA  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you guys are right. Its just not worth the enormous effort of an engine swap. And that supercharger kit with the EFI kit in the future will probably make more power with a very cool and unique sound
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RVA wrote:
i think you guys are right. Its just not worth the enormous effort of an engine swap. And that supercharger kit with the EFI kit in the future will probably make more power with a very cool and unique sound

Many people underestimates the amount of work needed for engine swaps, hence its one of the most common reasons why project cars get stranded and dusting in garages half finished. Im not discouraging anyone, though i just want to make one think it though properly. It looks easy on Instagram but reality is different Though if i was forced to do a swap i would probably chose something that sounds nice or revs nicely, not something similar to what we already have like a 1.8t which is slightly pointless imo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: