Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Fuel enrichment at WOT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Fuel enrichment at WOT Reply with quote

Hi All
My car has just returned from the dyno (117RW HP!) and we have the following problem:
The mixture is rich in the mid RPM's and leans off as RPM increases above ~4500.
I have already replaced the WUR with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Is it possible to trigger the cold start injector in time with the ignition pulses above say 4000rpm for enrichment, running the circuit through a WOT switch ofcourse. I am concerned that the cold start injector in the side of the intake manifold will not deliver fuel evenly to all cylinders.

Another thought is the later turbo cars with the Lambda control. Who do these cars achieve enrichment?

Cheers
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the enrichment is through a switch under the throttle body which in turn changes the control pressure in the WUR. Been a while though since I applied brain power to the 931 so I may be wrong....

Me
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
72rallye  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel, have you verified that there is sufficient fuel pressure at higher loads? I had so much voltage drop in the various connections that the pump would only see 8V. Fuel pressure at idle was ok, but under full load it completely fell apart.
To make matters worse, once the fuel pressure falls below the range of the pressure regulator, it shuts off the return flow of the WUR and the control pressure increases to the full system pressure.

I agree that activating the CSV is a bad idea, as it would create a much richer mixture on cylinder #4 than on #1.

The 81 931 has two means of enrichment:
- The WUR samples the manifold pressure and lowers the control pressure as soon as boost pressure kicks in.
- The control unit increases the duty cycle of the frequency valve to 65% at full throttle and above 3500rpm.

Thomas
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on the fuel pump wiring; we had previously had good fueling (on our NA racecar), but then I found recently that the wiring had gotten worse and I too was only seeing 8V at the pump.

Still have a few more things to touch on the fuel system, then need to get it on the dyno to check the rework; last time we were on track we were seeing 15-16:1 AFR and had to park the car to avoid blowing it up...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
daniel  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with fuel pressure - we have a gauge on it for tuning purposes.
How does the frequency valve work?
kondzi  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel wrote:
No problems with fuel pressure - we have a gauge on it for tuning purposes.
How does the frequency valve work?

See here:

http://www.cabby-info.com/cis.htm
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
72rallye  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or the Bosch manual:
https://e28goodies.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Bosch-Kjetronic-Fuel-Injection-Manual.pdf
daniel  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Bosch manual is exactly what I was looking for.
From what I can gather: When the frequency valve is triggered it increases pressure to the underside of the plunger's hence increasing fuel volume. This I can work with. Very easy to create a circuit that triggers the valve with ignition pulses above say 4500rpm at WOT. The question is: How do I plumb this into the fuel distributor to pressurizes No. 5 on the diagram is this a turbo only option?

72rallye  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works the other way around. When the duty cycle of the frequency valve is increased it bleeds off pressure in the lower chambers. Via the 4 individual pressure regulators this also decreases the pressure in the upper chambers. As a result, the pressure across the metering slits (difference between 8 and 10) is larger and increases the flow.
None of that will help you, as I believe that the FDs of non-oxygen sensor cars are missing the port for the FV and probably also the orifice to the lower chamber.
daniel  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm back to trigger the cold start injector...
kondzi  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Let me think. The most important thing in CIS is the WUR. This is the gremlin that changes the fuel pressure during the engine run (other than idle). Either cold or warm or part warm or whatever. There are WURs with different characteristics. You can even convert the WUR to a kind of adjustable one (well it's kind of adjustable anyway, but adding one tap and screw makes life easier). Then there are WURs with vacuum input - obviously there is vacuum at idle and part throttle and no vacuum at WOT (atmospheric pressure). Maybe I'm wrong, but as this is a WOT scenario, there should be a way to adjust the WUR at WOT (the one that has vacuum port) to go more rich?
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
daniel  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Konrad
I have already replaced the WUR with a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Using a fuel pressure reg with a vacuum input won't help in K-Jet cars ad they are designed to increase fuel pressure when vacuum drops. In K-Jet cars this will lead to a leaner mixture.
kondzi  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how this works with N/A WUR with vacuum, but in the 931 WUR there is a screw, that can limit the enrichment (or allow it more). It basically allows diaphragm to move more or less, therefore limits the change in the pressure related to vacuum/boost. If such exists in the N/A WUR, maybe this could be a way to limit the leaning at WOT? That's my way of thinking. Just an idea.
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: