Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 at MARRS 1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hayeslewis  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: 924 at MARRS 1 Reply with quote

We'll once again I had more car and took an ass whooping from fifty50plus, but it's still a rather enjoyable ass whooping when you're racing an H Prod 924. Unfortunately the camera didn't work for the Sunday race, where I actually held the lead for a while so I present this gem of a Saturday recovery drive. After one of my typical starts I had the extra pleasure of tapping the whoa pedal multiple times on the first lap when a skittish RX7 went two wheels off three times and looked set to collect the field. But then I enjoyed playing Grand Turismo as I overtook three cars in class a 150RWHP Pinto. Of course I forgot to turn on the image stabilization on Harry's Laptimer, so you get to choose which bouncy version of this video you'd like to see.

The original, with steady data overlay and a genuine impression of the vibration level with 450lbs front springs.

https://youtu.be/6HR9-Q1ohx0

or the artificially stabilized version with bouncing data.

https://youtu.be/1OKEkQusHS4

Don't let my sarcastic misery fool you. Racing is by far the most legal fun you can have with your clothes on, it lasts at least 30 minutes, and as long as the car goes back on the trailer as it unloaded unsurpassed in personal satisfaction.
2007 Armada
2013 Hyundai Elantra
1972 MG Midget Vintage project
Unstable electrified three wheeled Bicycle truck
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...I got balked quite a bit before turn 1 at the start but once the pack strung out I was able to click off consistent laps and won the H Prod class (both days). That's the good news. The bad news is that the only thing I did to my car to convert it to H Prod was put in the Elgin cam that Hayes had ground for us. My times were identical to what I used to turn with the IT-B legal cam. I'm still running at 9.5:1compression ratio while Hayes' engine is close to 11:1.
He turned a 1:29 in the Sat race while I never broke a 1:30 so he started before me on Sunday. That time I had to work to get around him.
We finally got the Traum pistons so this past week I took 4 blocks to my machinist to have bored. One for Hayes, two for me and one for Matti V. who is also building an H-Prod 924. Unfortunately, the rods are still many weeks away so it will be late in the season before I'm able to build a killer H-Prod engine.
IT-B is dying as a class in the DC area but there were 8 H-Prod cars at this first race at Summit Point. Hopefully the class will remain strong but some of the original H-Prod drivers are bitching about 2 liter cars moving into the class. We must weigh 2400 lbs while some of the Spitfires and Spridgets are in the 1500 lb range. We'll see how it goes throughout this season.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: