Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Crud In sparkplug wells

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeDanger  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Crud In sparkplug wells Reply with quote

Looks like over time dirt/oil and im guessing a lot of, Hood insulation, has fallen down the plug wells and turned into a kind of mud. I tried blowing it out with some brake cleaner but that didnt really work. I put the compression tester in to "plug" the hole, but really didnt have much of a way to remove the crud.

And unfortunately a little bit of the crud fell down into the cylinder, when i tried to use an oiled q-tip to try and clean the threads.

should I be worried and how much should I worry about cleaning that area? I was about to say "screw it" and just put the plug back in, but with the gunk that fell in, now Im a little concerned.
safe  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Crud In sparkplug wells Reply with quote

MikeDanger wrote:
Looks like over time dirt/oil and im guessing a lot of, Hood insulation, has fallen down the plug wells and turned into a kind of mud. I tried blowing it out with some brake cleaner but that didnt really work. I put the compression tester in to "plug" the hole, but really didnt have much of a way to remove the crud.

And unfortunately a little bit of the crud fell down into the cylinder, when i tried to use an oiled q-tip to try and clean the threads.

should I be worried and how much should I worry about cleaning that area? I was about to say "screw it" and just put the plug back in, but with the gunk that fell in, now Im a little concerned.

A bit of crud isn't good, but its not the end of the world unless its bigger chunks of metal or gravel. Soft crud, I wouldn't let it bother me.
Compressed air before removing the plugs works.
Spray some brake cleaner to clean the threads a tooth brush to really get it clean. A LIGHT coat of anti seize on the threads is called for, keep the seat clean for good electrical contact. You don't need to apply it every time it usually lasts.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This used to make me crazy on my 931. Thought about inventing a hollow cleaning tube with threads on the end that would seal the hole while allowing you to blast the area with brake cleaner and then vacuum it out.

Don't overthink the gunk. Not awesome for your motor, but these bores are tough and it won't be in there long.
MikeDanger  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nailed it!

So heres how I cleaned all the crud out:
Found a oil pan plug with the same threads
then cut the top of the plug off and put a slot for a screwdriver in it.
Put the "plug" in until it was flush, then scraped all the gunk off, vacuumed (I found a small plastic tube that I taped to the Vacuum hose)and sopped up what was left with paper towels. Then I used a Q-tip to get the rest and when I pulled the plug out I used a q-tip with some oil on it to clean the threads.

Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: