Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

First time buyer advice... and life advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gml wrote:
Rasta, I'm impressed with your persistence for 931 advocacy.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for a 931 or any two liter car. I'm suggesting that you drive a 2.5 liter car, specifically, an 86-88 924s, as part of your learning and decision process.

I would certainly not impulse buy the car in the picture. In the US anyway, that is a sub 1000 dollar car.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gml wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts Eddie!

Totally agree, I love the 924 metal badge and I wish it had the chrome trim. Are these factory you think or was the chrome trim removed and/or the badge installed?

What do you think is a fair appraisal given what you can see in these pics?

Idk..
Maybe $2500 minus your time @ $30 and hour +mileage to chase down a title..

I’m not saying I’m a good pricer at all..
You want it a lot, so your willing to pay more for it than someone like me who would only buy it for a very good price..

I also don’t know much about the Canadian used car/classic market..
In Europe the cars are worth far more than in USA for example..
D Hook  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Eddie...not quite as bad as those first couple pix indicated. Interior looks pretty good, all things considered. Fixing the battery tray is a real priority since that's were water gets into the cabin and causes electrical connections (especially grounds) to corrode.

The rust on the roofline is a concern but only because I hate rust on any car I'm looking at unless it's an old pickup or bang-around car. The rest of the body looks decent. Back window not closing is also a concern. The glass on the hatch has a habit of separating from the frame and is a real challenge to repair. Lots of threads on this board about techniques.

Interior doesn't look like it's been molested too bad. But pulling the dash out to go over the wiring is a must. Forget about the radio/speaker wires, just pull all that stuff out and anything else that isn't factory wiring like theft systems, etc. Give you a better chance of looking at the factory wiring instead. Pulling the dash is no big deal. You're going to need to get in there anyway to clean connections. Grounds on these cars can lead to a lot of problem$.

Everything under the hood will need to be gone through. I'm guessing the fuel system is probably pretty filthy but if he can get it to start and keep running, there might be hope there. Fuel tanks rust on these cars also so plan on a tank drop, repair and liner put in.

Don't think it's worth more than a couple thousand in its current condition. If I was in your position and had the severe need to buy a Porsche and knew nothing about them, I'd still keep looking. But don't let this deter you from buying something you're passionate about. We need the passionate people to keep this board going, to repair, innovate and invent better ways to do things to keep them on the road. Good luck and post more pics when you can.
anthonimartini  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill second what rasta said. i have a two 2.0 cars and one 1987. there is literally nothing i can do to my 2.0 cars that would make them comparable to the 87. the 87 feels like a supercar compared to the early ones. it also always idles smoothly and i never tinker with the efi or ignition. that being said i will always prefer the archaic nature of the earlier cars and i much prefer the look of the 2.0 engine bay. i have actually posted my 77 for sale. 3500 its yours. it will drive anywhere as it sits. im just bored of it at this point and want to focus on my brown 79.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5152157071521772
83 944
87 924S
Instagram @anthoni.jpeg
formerly known as turbellion, lost password.
gml  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the thoughts. I am encouraged that its not as bad as the initial photos made it look like, seems like it is far from perfect, but that may just make it better as a first-timer project (if it weren't a ripoff price). Would love it if the seller was communicative, I'm spinning my tires like crazy over here.

I would love to shop around and test out 2.5s, 931s, and everything, but there's just nothing in my area, and I was really hoping get the passion ignited this summer.

anthonimartini I reactivated my Facebook account just to see your listing but it seems to be gone. Sold already?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonimartini wrote:
ill second what rasta said. i have a two 2.0 cars and one 1987. there is literally nothing i can do to my 2.0 cars that would make them comparable to the 87. the 87 feels like a supercar compared to the early ones. it also always idles smoothly and i never tinker with the efi or ignition. that being said i will always prefer the archaic nature of the earlier cars and i much prefer the look of the 2.0 engine bay. i have actually posted my 77 for sale. 3500 its yours. it will drive anywhere as it sits. im just bored of it at this point and want to focus on my brown 79.

Holy crap!!
Go buy this one immediately!!!

Before I do...

“””””””””””””
1977 porsche 924. meticulously sorted by myself, i drive it everyday and have driven it all over the PNW without a single complaint from the car. starts right up idles smoothly and drives great. consistently gets above 30mpg. 2.0 audi 4 cylinder, 4 speed manual. k jettronic fuel injection. does not leak oil or coolant. doesnt burn oil or smoke. i specialize in these cars and this is my personal driver i am only selling because im trying to buy a jdm cargo van and also fund a 931 build. you will not find a more capable early 924 for sale. most sellers that have these know little about them and dont do anything to make them reliable.
tons of recent work went into making this car what it is including.

fully tuned up:
-new plugs, wires distributor cap,rotor.
- timing belt, crank seal, cam seal.
-all new coolant hoses, thermostat, coolant.
-fresh oil change Penngrade 20-50
-new fuel injectors.
-new auxilary air valve
-new fuel filter and fuel line at rear of car.
-Nos header and full exhaust built by me with new magnaflow catylitic convertor and flowmaster muffler.
-new brakes all around
-new alternator and fresh alternator wiring with larger wires.
-new starter
- new motor mount spring (extremely hard to find)
-944 hatch
-front and rear sway bars (rear was optional on the early cars)
-lubri moly gl5 gear oil changed in gearbox. shifts perfectly with absolutely no hint of syncro wear!
-new ignition switch
-new turn sginal switch and wiper switch
-nice sounding radio
-rebuilt wiper motor and linkeage
-new poly springplate bushings
-kyb shocks
-smooth drivetrain, strong clutch.
-camshaft thoroughly inspected, no wear on lifters or cam, replaced spray bar tube adapter and adjusted valves, torqued head.
-400 watts of vintage hella lighting up front. fully relayed to properly sized wires to battery.
-reinforced alternator mounts (the lower mounts always break)
- studded snow tires.slightly taller resulting in better rpms on the highway. cruises comfortably at 75mph
- custom built roof rack made by me. full size spare tire mounted. easily removed or installed with no tools
-i have the colour matched hood for it as well. i also have 3 of these cars and a ton of spares

-absolutely no rust, the battery tray is prone to rust on these. this one has zero rust in the battery area.

-just passed oregon DEQ
“””””””””””””

Just fly there, buy it, and drive it home!!
$3,500 is a STEAL!!

You will be a gorrilian km ahead if you just go get this car instead of that white one..

The only problem is that you might not ever have to post here again, because it’ll probably be so reliable you’ll never have to fix a thing..

This is exactly what I was talking about when I said to buy something that has been used and maintained recently..

This car makes that white one look like a $100 car..
No.. They aught to pay you $2000 to take that white car and fix it up compared to what it would cost you to just go fly and buy this $3,500 car..
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
This is exactly what I was talking about when I said to buy something that has been used and maintained recently...

Valid point, even more so when you throw in the fact that Mr. Martini is a professional tech.
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gml wrote:
Saw the car today.

Run,Forrest, Run!

Anything is repairable, it's all a matter of time and money.

I think you may want to expand your search radius and factor in shipping costs to the price you are willing to pay. And also give yourself time to find the right car. It's frustrating that few local cars are available. I live in MD and found my car in NC...listed for sale on this board.

There is something to be said for buying from an enthusiast. I'm not sure that I can explain how to identify an enthusiast, but the wiring we have here is not from an enthusiast's car. I've never seen a hose clamp on a battery terminal before today.

Consider joining PCA to access the national classifieds but also your local region might have classifieds as well.

Here's an article from the Chesapeake PCA about someone that found a nice 924S. https://issuu.com/pcachs/docs/patter_1-2_2021/s/11762410?fbclid=IwAR3czPlTg9g5D0-LndzGnnTzGjZWarjWZuSXQ_cRJtRQTrX8RODTswqkrR0

re: 924S 2.5 vs. early 924 2.0.

I'll agree that the 924S is better car. I've owned a 944NA, 944 turbo and a 968. I bought a 924 turbo on purpose and I think it's great. I was actually looking to buy an early 924NA when the turbo car popped up.
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
anthonimartini wrote:

Holy crap!!
Go buy this one immediately!!!

+1
gml  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hesitant to get anthonimartini's car since it would require importing/exporting and crossing the border introduces many unknowns in the age of COVID. The car seems to be gone now, I hope it found a good home.

The original car I asked about is off the market as well, seller just went quiet and now the listing is down.

Now looking at a 1980 Euro 924 that's about 500km away listed for $6500. It is driven every summer and has title, so this is already much better than the white one earlier.

Anything to watch out for with the European models?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch for euro cars to be faster and better looking..
They are worth more/better for many reasons..
Just the bumpers are probably worth $1,000..

Now your talking..
An 80 euro in recently maintained shape, especially if its 5 lug, is at the higher end of 2.0 NA cars..
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not only faster and better looking, but also much simpler under the bonnet. No cats or any additional emission equipment makes it easier to work on.
D Hook  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

European models jokes to commence in 4...3...2...
gml  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I ended up putting a deposit down on a 1982 924. I am waiting for the documents to be sorted out then I'll tow it home next week. Its in Ontario and has clean title so that's already a huge improvement.

Its got a leaking fuel tank but the seller has a very clean replacement tank he got from a junkyard 924. So I was thinking the first thing I'll do is replace the tank. Once I have the transmission dropped is it worth doing other repairs like a clutch replacement?

It also may be a good time to replace the fuel lines as well. The smallest hoses in the engine bay for the fuel system are not in great shape. Can someone point me to some good resources on how to find replacement parts? I am here to learn, so any suggestions are much appreciated.

Seller has the Haynes manual, are there any must-have resources? I have seen that the 944 garage workshop is good but I am unclear if that is at all relevant to 924 NAs.

This decision was definitely my heart over my head, so I'm nervous, but hope to learn a lot from this community and embark on this journey into classic ownership. Hope I don't turn back on the path as soon as I get started.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats.

We'll do all set can to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: