Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Fuel leak from turbo housing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcarson25  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Fuel leak from turbo housing? Reply with quote

Okay so I have been building a 1981 turbo and the fuel issues are driving me insane. I had the car idling for short intervals but it would choke itself off. I figured there must be a fuel deliver problem.

Fuel filter replaced
Rebuilt fuel distribution block with new seals and diaphragm
Pulled the injectors and ultra sonic cleaned them, 1 was stuck open but cleaning seemed to fix this problem, at least out of car.
Replaced a cracked fuel line( the 5/16” on that runs the pass side of from fender.

Now the car just cranks, it feels as pressure builds and then a big puddle
of fuel ends up on my garage floor. I checked everywhere for leaks and the only wet place I see is from the back of the turbo flange, where I did find a loos flange bolt nothing leaking above it.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? Could the injector be stuck open in the cylinder causing fuel to be pushed out exhaust? I really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that and/or your fuel distributor could be stuck open, Misadjusted afr screw..

Your oil is probably full of gas too now so make sure to change that as soon as you stop the fuel problem..
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are no external leaks, something went wrong with your fuel distributor rebuild. . .the only fuel source upstream of the turbo.

You should be able to press the plate down and check inside the fuel metering body for puddles, or maybe pull the boot between fuel meter and turbo. . .
rcarson25  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, figured it would probably be in the distributor rebuild. I had generic instructions to work from, from a Mercedes. Does anyone have a link to a 931 specific fuel distributor rebuild? Everything seemed to go smoothly but a better walkthrough may help sort out the issue.

Thanks for the help so far.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking the exhaust side of the turbo or the intake side of the turbo?
Front or back?
rcarson25  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally only noticed it out of the hot side, but when looking further I can see if was leaking out of the mixing bowl into the cold side at the front of the vehicle.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a known working turbo fuel distributor that I’d sell.. WUR too..
Make me an offer if you want it..
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus you literally turned that whole engine into a fuel pump.
You need to stop cranking that engine immediatly and replace the oil as by now all your oil is 20% fuel and you will damage the engine bearinns, pistons, cam and all the parts that notmally need oil for lubrication.
rcarson25  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to see if I can’t find out what went wrong with the rebuild on mine first but thanks for letting me know you have a working one, it may come to that.

Removed fuel distributor and oil has been replaced. Didn’t smell like a gas tank when I drained it so all should be good.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst fuel may be p1ssing out the distributor and leaking out the cold side of the turbo, it may not have made it to the cylinders?

I have read of more issues from DIY fuel dizzy rebuilds than successes.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
I have read of more issues from DIY fuel dizzy rebuilds than successes.

+1
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i also screwed up one, it didnt really seal right...slight wetting..but that was not the main problem...it just didnt run right and i have no idea what i did wrong. It seems you absolutely need a special bench to rebuild them, not just that seals kit.
rcarson25  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lack of instructions out there is a big issue as well. I could only find a crappy walkthrough of a Mercedes unit. I am not a newbie to rebuilding parts by any means and this is the first part in a long time to give me issues. I can’t believe there is not a good exploded view of the distributor that shows locations of the seals. I have both the Bosch fuel injection book and Haynes manual and neither have much that is good for rebuilding this unit.

That all being said I took this back apart and have put it back together. There was an additional deal that I swapped out and the control valve feels much tighter and sealed. Going to try this out again this evening. Wish me luck!
rcarson25  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd rebuild went much better. I swapped an o ring out of the kit I bought for one I had that seems like a better fit. Got everything back together and no more leaks. I am still running rich but now
That the fuel distributor is working right I can do some tests and get this thing dialed in.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for the cap screw and cap that go on the AFM right next to the fuel distributor? Mine is missing and I am not sure what the best replacement would be, can’t find stock parts for these part numbers.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you find a source for that screw......I'll buy two please. 10yrs and still never found a new one...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: