Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1976 924 Idle gets rough after a short time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildP1  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: 1976 924 Idle gets rough after a short time Reply with quote

Hello all,

My 1976 NA 2.0 924 has a rough idle. Compression is good. After I found and fixed a bad vacuum leak it ran okay in all RPM, though the idle was never below 1000RPM and when adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw it didn't run as smoothly at 800-900RPM. After standing for a week the cold starts were still quite good but after a minute or so it gets really rough but throttle repsonse isn't suspiciously bad. The idle on a warm-ish engine is bad straight away.
I bought it after it has been standing for at least a year with a disassembled engine.

Link to a short clip of it after a cold start: https://youtu.be/L_iCS8Nj_1w

Any suggestions on what it could be?

Thank you very much in advance!
Cheers.
Harm  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 924 Idle gets rough after a short time Reply with quote

Please do post in General Discussions.

First question:

— The OLDer engines use old fashioned Spark Distribution by 'Points'. Did you look into the Spark Distributor's housing and measure/set gap?

Then

— See if enough fuel is able to reach the Fuel distributor (probably is, since it clearly starts running by the Cold Start Valve and/or WUR).

— Check if every single injector gives an even amount of fuel in a good cone. Hot start problems will happen when injectors don't hold pressure and leak after shutdown.

— Did you use a timing light and check the dot on the back of the cam wheel? There is a difference between front and rear dot. Use the right one: check TDC.

Document/fotograph your current setup of fuel/timing/mixture before you take it all over the place .

When running almost perfect: Check AFR and CO2 for verification exhaust fumes are in spec and the engine isn't running to lean (and burning your rings).
WildP1  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply! Will put it in general discussion next time.

The timing and the distributor gap should be set correctly. I double
checked the timing with a timing gun too.
I will check the fuel flow to the distributor and also check the injectors. Shall I crank the engine when I've pulled out all injectors and see what the spray pattern/ amount of fuel coming out looks like?

I took it for a drive (about 50km) and it idles better now but doesn't idle nicely below 1000rpm. I think I will have to drive it more and it might clear up a bit. I think the mass air flow sensor might be stuck a little and it could get better if I drive it for a while. Under full throttle it runs really smoothly but at like 3-4k rpm it stutters a bit.

Thanks.
anthonimartini  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your warm up regulator is out of spec causing lean running on a warm engine. you need a fuel gauge set to check and remedy. you may need to find a good one or try to rebuild yours.
83 944
87 924S
Instagram @anthoni.jpeg
formerly known as turbellion, lost password.
WildP1  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the advice, will definitely take a closer look at the WUR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: