Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Transplanting 924 turbo engine on na
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juho wrote:
Rasta Monsta wrote:
You should consider a VW 1.8t...

I would 100% do that if i had tools and space to fabricate+its hard to make it street legal

I could think of many many engines I would put there instead of an 1.8t. They are old and need to be rebuilt and aren't even that good in standard condition. It takes a massive ammount of work, and it sounds boring
safe  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ported turbo head, 13:1 compression, EFI / weber and racegas (I think E85 would do) and you could be pushing 200 na-hp.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
safe  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C�dric wrote:
Juho wrote:
Rasta Monsta wrote:

I would 100% do that if i had tools and space to fabricate+its hard to make it street legal

I could think of many many engines I would put there instead of an 1.8t. They are old and need to be rebuilt and aren't even that good in standard condition. It takes a massive ammount of work, and it sounds boring

You really don't like the 1.8T, do you?
They aren't really much more boring than whats already in the car. I think if you get the right type of 1.8T its capable of 4-500 on the stock internals from my research. The rods are the weakest link.

But I agree, not the sexiest engine, I don't care much for 4-cylinders unless they have a turbo, makes them sound a lot better.
Keeping with the VW/Audi a VR6 would be sweet.
Porsche 931 -79
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah man, 1.8t is more boring than the 924 NA
I mean sure if you find a 220hp version, you can bump it up to 250hp and that's going to be a rocket....but...its a massive amount of work..for what's essentially a cheapo butcher job upgrade.
The one thing I can complain to the 1.8t is that it sounds so damn generic that even the 924 NA engine sounds more interesting...that and it takes so much wiring to get sorted out..not to mention the other mechanical issues.
If engine swap is an option...I would not even think not to have a 5cyl engine in there. Even the 2.3 NA from Audi would be great because it sounds so good.
But obviously the AAN is the thing to swap in...but that's also a car wide project...where you need better brakes, better suspension...etc.
There is a VW NA engine 5cyl, 2.7L if I'm not mistaken...but only sold to USA.
That thing sounds fantastic...its obviously not making a lot of power but has plenty of torque and did I mention it sounds amazing?

Anyway, back to reality...rebuild that 931 engine as a high compression NA and EFI the damn thing to 200hp.
It hasn't been done in ages...it will be really special, sound very cool and still be a 924.
Before the supercharger idea, I planned to get a 931 head, lighten the internals of my NA engine and run EFI.
safe  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:

Anyway, back to reality...rebuild that 931 engine as a high compression NA and EFI the damn thing to 200hp.
It hasn't been done in ages...it will be really special, sound very cool and still be a 924.

Not that long ago, the land speed record 924 has an engine with that concept, think its about 220 hp.
Similar to the production d cars they raced in the 80s.
Porsche 931 -79
Juho  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going that high compression the engines lifespan is really short right?
safe  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juho wrote:

Should not affect lifespan of the engine, significantly anyway.
Porsche 931 -79
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juho wrote:

I dont see why..especially if its a street car.
The 80s d-prod were kept to revs of @7000 a large percentage of their run time. Fuel is better now, oils are better now..there is efi.
I would love to hear a lightweight 924 engine rev to 7000+ rpm.
That wont be cheap though...i chose to supercharge mine also because its cheaper than building a high cr, high revving engine.

But going back to what do you want to do with the car..?
If its just driving around and enjoying a sprinted drive now and then...not so sure you’ll get to enjoy what a high cr, high revving na engine has to offer.
I went the supercharger way also because it makes driving more fun without having to keep the revs up, so that means more fun at less risky speeds, less noise when driving quick. This was my thinking, i guess a high cr NA is also a bit stronger at lower rpms but i doubt its as strong as a supercharged one.

Regardless of what you choose to do, enjoy your 924!
Juho  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that kind of na engine with that power just gives me goosebumps. And i dont want any more power than200 and na is always na
safe  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:

That wont be cheap though...i chose to supercharge mine also because its cheaper than building a high cr, high revving engine.

Well, to start you would need some custom pistons, JEs. Thats not something you can get away from whatever you do.
A set of Coco's rods, very light weight and reasonably priced.
Solid lifters to replace the, probably worn, adjustable.

That would turn 7000+ all day long.

The production D and the land speed record car has dry sump oiling, not sure that is necessary for a street car, but windage plate sump baffles and crank scraper might be called for.
Porsche 931 -79
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I race an NA that will turn 7000 but it's a waste since the torque has dropped so far off with the stock cam and restricted breathing. I usually shift at around 6500. I'm running Diamond forged pistons at 9.5:1and they would be good for more RPMs but....stock cam and restricted breathing. As far as oiling, I do have a crank scraper but it's probably overkill. What is critical though is an AccuSump that maintains oil pressure in the turns when the oil pump is cavitating (sucking air because the oil has sloshed away from the pick-up tube).The AccuSump works as well as a dry sump system for race (or track) applications and is quite a bit less complicated and much cheaper.
As an aside, I used to race a BMW 2002 and we built very elaborate windage trays and sump baffles with limited success. When the AccuSump came out we switched and never had a bearing problem again.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Juho  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Juho wrote:

I dont see why..especially if its a street car.
The 80s d-prod were kept to revs of @7000 a large percentage of their run time. Fuel is better now, oils are better now..there is efi.

But going back to what do you want to do with the car..?
If its just driving around and enjoying a sprinted drive now and then...not so sure you’ll get to enjoy what a high cr, high revving na engine has to offer.
I went the supercharger way also because it makes driving more fun without having to keep the revs up, so that means more fun at less risky speeds, less noise when driving quick. This was my thinking, i guess a high cr NA is also a bit stronger at lower rpms but i doubt its as strong as a supercharged one.

Regardless of what you choose to do, enjoy your 924!

I want to keep driving with my current engine and make this new engine a longtime project that i can perfect, painting everything, forged internals and headers and itbs if going na. i dont want to rush it, just drop it in when its ready
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C�dric wrote:
...it sounds boring

https://youtu.be/pH9zeSJgxNE

Um ok.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
C�dric wrote:
Juho wrote:
Rasta Monsta wrote:

You really don't like the 1.8T, do you?
They aren't really much more boring than whats already in the car. I think if you get the right type of 1.8T its capable of 4-500 on the stock internals from my research. The rods are the weakest link.

But I agree, not the sexiest engine, I don't care much for 4-cylinders unless they have a turbo, makes them sound a lot better.
Keeping with the VW/Audi a VR6 would be sweet.

I don't hate them, ive driven tuned 1.8ts, they are decent engines.but they add very little to the car for mega amounts of work and money. For an engine swap to be worth it imo it has to add something, a nice sound track for example. VR6s are HEAVy but can really sound like magic. And have around 250hp out of the box from a newer one. A k20 would be a great match, but i think they would never fit due to the height.
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only engine I'd swap into a 924 is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W486kKotuNA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: