Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

ANYONE DOING ANYTHING EXCITING ON THEIR CAR ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that bore scoring on water pumpers was due to warming up the engine improperly. The article said that folks started the cars and let them idle for long periods of time to warm up. This caused a rich condition which washed oil off the cylinder walls. The recommendation was to start the engine and drive away so that the engine warms rapidly and leans out to running mixture. Makes sense but I still bet there are additional variables.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found the same information.
But i also read that the coating on the pistons flakes off due to either whats in the oils or just coating process inconsistency and therefore creating a larger gap. I didnt take my pistons out myself, i sent the assembled block to a company in Germany and they sent it back with fresh pistons and coating.
But inspecting the bore scoring on my engine it looked to me more like over expanding damage...like overheating and increasing friction that created hotspots on the cylinder wall and that kind of makes what you said sound more likely to be the real root cause.
Some guy at a Porsche dealership told me that bad injectors can also cause this by pissing too much fuel in and washing the walls.

On a similar page with the cayman, the vw engines that i also have in my touareg suffer from a similar failure where diesel washes off the oil and kills the engine...and long warming times of massive diesel engines dont help.
Happy i managed to get the auxiliary heater fixed as it brings the engine to operating temp very fast. If i’m not mistaken the 997/987 series uses some trickery to warm up quickly..i think it has to do with fueling, timing and an air pump.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your Touareg a 3 liter 6 cyl diesel? That's what I have in my 2015 Cayenne. If that's the case, with 50.000 miles maybe I ought to get rid of it before big expenses.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The touareg is half of a v10, its a 5cyl, literally half of the V10 TDI.
Had it now for 4 years or so...really capable and comfy cars...not cheap to maintain but well worth the effort imo.
I'd like a V10 tdi but i tax is absurd here for such engines...so half a v10 for me
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there such a beast as a Toureg v10 ?

I was just checking out a Toureg on the way into work that looked pretty nice with some sort of upgraded wide wheel package
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first generation had the best imo, the cheapest and most cost effective is the 1/2 V10 TDI, the 2.5L 5CYL, and the full V10 5L.
But the V10 mostly sold to europe, USA i think only got the V8 gas, not the V10 diesel or the 2.5L.
Also, there were a pair of V6 engines, a 3.2L gas and a 3L tdi. These later ones were considered to be the best as they had the fewest failures.

That V10 touareg is quite something
But they also made a 6L W12.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls23tHPX8mQ

Here is mine, the first generation, non-face lift (or sag) level entry engine, but with a decent optionals package, all true leather, auxiliary diesel heater, central diff lock, low range gearbox, height adjustable air suspension, stiffness adjustable shocks, dual xenon blablabla.
Rather handsome for an SUV i think, quite capable to climb and very confy while doing that.
Dont really like the engines or the looks of the touaregs made after the very first ones, except this very last one...i like the looks of that one..not sure about the engines.

Mike9311  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it too since I am not one for all the gimmick body lines they keep tossing into the new designs on SUV's in general. For example the new Ford Explorer has a wicked twin turbo motor which I love but I can't fall "in like"
with the outside of it. Drove one. It was fun but...

You have some nice engine choices over there thats for sure
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Touareg. They are big comfy vehicles..

Took the Weissach to BTRChicago on Tuesday. Very excited for refreshed motor mounts, among a few other things. Hoping that I am not going to be told "that vibration you asked us to diagnose is torque tube bearings" but we will see.. I understand Mike will soon have something of a new solution for that, and whatdya know he's in IL as well..

Had not driven the car since early-November when I noticed a minor fuel leak (shop is going to take care of this also), and so the ~2hr drive was really just so pleasant.. Every season I forget how much I love the thing. Beat up as it feels (needs refreshed control arm bushings) going down our bumpy IL roads, and slow compared to a modern car, it's just so dynamic and comfy and damned entertaining. Makes me look forward to getting it back, and also to the 931 in my garage. Can we skip to next spring now please?

Gotta get on that G31 inspection and figure out why I don't have 2nd gear...
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to time the engine today. Not as simple as the 924
But easy enough if you have the right tools and documentation.
Aiming for a productive day tomorrow to dress up the engine and get it ready to be put back into the car.
Plan is still to have the engine in the car by the end of this year, but surely I will only start it next year as it also needs fluids replaced and bled, brakes and suspension replaced.

Glemon  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting to me, I checked and have the original tool room, also have a working original Blaupunkt radio, and original speakers. The speakers are pretty much disintegrated by now, they try to work, but mostly distortion comes out. Replaced the door speakers, sounds better, will tackle the rear speakers and the funky aftermarket security/immobilizer system which shouldn't be too bad, there are some instructions for how it was installed, so I think if I find the wires I can bypass it pretty easily.
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Managed to time the engine today. Not as simple as the 924
But easy enough if you have the right tools and documentation.
Aiming for a productive day tomorrow to dress up the engine and get it ready to be put back into the car.
Plan is still to have the engine in the car by the end of this year, but surely I will only start it next year as it also needs fluids replaced and bled, brakes and suspension replaced.

Engine mated to gearbox and undertray(jesus the flywheel/flex plate gets tightened down 25Nm and then 120deg on 8 fine pitch M10 bolts)...new disks, pads and lowering springs today as well as a bit more prep for the whole thing to be fixed to the car tomorrow.
I REALLY hope i didnt miss or forget anything as i really dont want to be doing this again anytime soon!
Also about 10k job with additional parts like brakes, ac radiators and a few more bits and tools.

Ordered vacuum thing for coolant and brakes bleeding as well as rear flexible brake lines as back in june my mate insisted to disconnect the calipers and plyers squeeze the lines...which resulted in all the fluid leaking out and the lines getting crushed and becoming unsafe to re-use.
OEM only..+150 "bucks" down the drain.

But moving forward, hoping to start the engine within the next weekend..have to wait for bleeder thing so i'll just take the time next week to replace the fallen roof lining (got detatched) and finish up connecting the engine to the car.
Glemon  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing as exciting or ambitious as Morghen, but pretty quiet here so I will post anyway. The rear hatch struts on the car were aftermarket and much too strong, so I replaced them with Stabilus Sachs SG214008, which are listed for early 90s Jeep Wagoneer, but the various boards recommend to keep the hatch from coming apart. 15 minutes in the cold garage and they were swapped out and do the job perfectly. They hold up the hatch fine, and lower with one hand in the middle, rather than two hands, creaking, and a prayer the thing wasn't going to come apart.

Replaced the rear speakers , much bigger PITA than fronts

Hmmm, my attempts to insert images don't seem to be working https://photos.app.goo.gl/fni48QCBTVF7ZSCy6
Glemon  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick bits again today, air filter (the oil looks clean, the air filter was ancient). Disabled the 80s aftermarket theft deterrent device on the car (bypassed a little magnetic switch, spliced into ignition wires) so things are now wired normally, and last and most exciting cleaned out the ashtray, which looked like it had bits of 1988 still left in it.

Last edited by Glemon on Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glemon wrote:
Quick bits again today, air filter (the oil looks clean, the air filter was ancient). Disabled the 80s aftermarket theft deterrent device on the car (bypassed a little magnetic switch, spliced into ignition wires, so things are now wired normally, and last and most exciting cleaned out the ashtray, which looked like it had bits of 1988 still left in it.

I used to have a 84 GTI with one of those theft systems. Seems like such an 80's thing. My 924 ashtrays are reserved for spare parts
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glemon wrote:
The rear hatch struts on the car were aftermarket and much too strong, so I replaced them with Stabilus Sachs SG214008, which are listed for early 90s Jeep Wagoneer, but the various boards recommend to keep the hatch from coming apart.

Good to know!

Cayman update:
Engine back in, today is tidy up day and front brakes & springs.
Tomorrow fluids in and bled and hopefully first start.

924 update:
Got the last 3D printed part wrapped and will be test fitting it in the next days when i find 15 minutes of willpower to do so.
Curious how it drives in the very low grip scenario that we have here now. I bet it wont be drivable due to the torque delivery. Instant boost off the idle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151  Next
Page 147 of 151

Jump to: