Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Where is everyone getting Pistons from for their 931's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharky  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Where is everyone getting Pistons from for their 931's Reply with quote

So... for a turbocharged '81 924, and with ideola's garage no longer operating (Super Sad about that...) where is everybody getting pistons from?
I am trying to get a set ordered, have been for a while now.
I understand they need to be forged, but honestly...
Last time I spoke to Diamond, they sent me a form that wanted specific dimensions that I just don't understand... and at around AU$1200 for a set, I'd really like to get it exactly right so I don't end up with something that I cant use, and probably couldn't even sell considering the specifics involved in the dimensions.
I really like the coating Diamond offers for their products, and I was really interested in getting that done as part of the purchase.

If you guys could offer any help on where to go and how to get the ball rolling on a new set of pistons & rings I would be very grateful.

Thanks for your time
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there any local campany which makes custom pistons? Maybe some place where you could send in an old piston for them to measure?

I bought a set of omega pistons from a guy in the uk, but i think they have a minimum order of 3 sets or something like that.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the shelf...... Mittelmotor have JE

Special order...... JE, Diamond and most will want a properly filled in spec form regardless of them making them previously. You may need the help of your engine builder to measure your block and existing pistons

Omega in UK want 4 sets minimum order

Expect to pay USD 1000 to 1500 per set.

You must have piston maker in Aus?
safe  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be tones of "speed shops" in 'stralia that can help you custom order a set of pistons from JE or somewhere else.
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the suggestions to find a local piston maker. With their help and maybe a donor piston you should be able to get something done.

I've been looking for pistons too. Omega looked like a good option but when I talked with them this past Summer, they had a minimum order quantity of 20 pistons per design.

There are some builds out there using the Mittelmotor JE's. Not a cheap option but other than Omega, maybe the more proven option?

I'm down the path a ways on a custom JE set. The cool thing is I get to spec whatever dimensions I want! The scary thing is that I get to spec whatever dimensions I want...

I'm not moving very fast but if I run into any other options, I'll certainly pass them along.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond has the specs for a turbo piston as well as the specs for an NA piston having made both types. I don't know if the turbo specs are under Dan/Ideola or Chris's (friend of Vaughan Scott) name, but the NA specs are under my name (Chuck Allard). As I recall, eight pistons were about $1200 while four pistons were close to $800.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:
Diamond has the specs for a turbo piston as well as the specs for an NA piston having made both types. I don't know if the turbo specs are under Dan/Ideola or Chris's (friend of Vaughan Scott) name, but the NA specs are under my name (Chuck Allard). As I recall, eight pistons were about $1200 while four pistons were close to $800.

JE also have the specs as they have built many dozens of sets, but they still want you to complete a spec form to avoid any issues of making the wrong piston.

I blind bought some JE for series 1. The CR will/should be lower......I guess these are 7.5:1 CR (I wish Dan's piston/CR tool was still online.....) and ideally you would want a touch more, CR for series 2 is 8.5:1. This image might help with a discussion with a piston shop / JE. There appears to be a mix of imperial and metric measurements in the spec

924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: EBS knows the 924 Reply with quote

Just a reiteration, EBS knows well how to spec out JEs for the 924s. Been very happy with these in our 924NA racecar.

But I can't provide any specs for Turbo pistons, mine are still original...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS most piston companies can offer crown and skirt treatments if required. Not just a Diamond thing
TJC  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:

Say Chuck, regarding the NA piston for a moment...wasn't there an off the shelf VW piston, possibly a flat top, that could be used with a slight overbore for an NA application?
And with the proliferation of small bore turbocharged engines in the last decade or so wouldn't there be a possibility that there are other "stock" pistons, from various auto manufacturers, available with specifications similar enough to the 924 Turbo that may be used? Seems to me custom pistons at $200.00 per is a bit pricey...but then again given the "beat down the door" demand for such a thing, perhaps not.
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't shop for stock pistons since my application was SCCA's IT-B class. We are allowed one half point increase in compression over stock. I chose to have that encompassed in the piston top rather than milling the block (head is flat on the NA). The fact that they are forged, lighter and all weigh exactly the same out of the box. All bonuses in my opinion. I've also seen the turbo version of the Diamond pistons and they are also works of art. Dan/Ideola was a great help when I was starting this build.
safe  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJC wrote:

Say Chuck, regarding the NA piston for a moment...wasn't there an off the shelf VW piston, possibly a flat top, that could be used with a slight overbore for an NA application?

Yes, 87mm VW flat top (Google it). They are completely flat but with 1.5 mm lower compression height.
The volume of the NA dish is 19,8 ml and 1 mm across 86.5mm would equate to 5,87 ml. So it would be like decking the block 3.37 mm which is a bit much I would say, maybe 1.37-1.87 mm too much. A bit thicker head gasket might fix it, or maybe E85....
They are also a bunch lighter than stock.

Don't hold me to my math on this!! Recheck yourself if trying it. I would try it for an NA build, I have a set somewhere...

Also the calculations is for a ROW spec engine.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat top piston...any cut out for the valves? Or does it become an interference engine? Sounds like a great way to really bump the compression ratio. Similar to putting turbo pistons in an NA engine.
safe  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:
Flat top piston...any cut out for the valves? Or does it become an interference engine? Sounds like a great way to really bump the compression ratio. Similar to putting turbo pistons in an NA engine.

No valve relieves. Not sure the vales will clear at all, trial and error
If its interference or not, who cares, never understood that "selling point". Never had a cam belt snap on any car I've had despite being old and high mileage.
On my 911 I think I have 0.8 mm of minimal clearance of the valve chasing the piston, when the timing is good.
TJC  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chuck and Safe!
I'm at some decision making crossroads and this info will help a ton.
I should probably start a new post with my questions so as not to muck up this one, sorry Sharky!!! It's just that this came to mind as my daughter and I were just discussing if we should do anything with "Pogo" in the near future and the thought of forsaking the factory turbo setup for a hot NA appeals to me if we keep it.
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: