Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 turbo oil seeping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
langmd  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: 931 turbo oil seeping Reply with quote

On the 931s turbo cold side there is a square cap on each side that bolts on with 4 bolts one side has an oil return line I am seeping a little oil out of bottom on both sides. I ran a smoke test and have a leak at main intake plenum and on the crankcase breather line that runs under intake into block. Also previous owner deleted the Y in that line so not sure where that line would run or if needed? Any help is appreciated as new to car and a little clueless..
langmd  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry not main intake. The leak is at tube connecting turbo to intake that takes that one big o'ring..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the line that runs from under the intake and to the cold side of the turbo?
That is a vacuum line..

Does the car run? Does it smoke?
langmd  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car runs great when warmed up. Some cold start issues from vacuum leak issues I think. Smokes when starts cant really see much but can smell it. Thinking its oil in turbo burning in exhaust ??
Line with leak I'm referring to runs from airbox to small round canister then to block under intake manifold. Diagrams I'm seeing show a Y pipe after the canister with another smaller line running some where. Mine has that Y pipe n extra line deleted.
langmd  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking from a picture on this sites technical section that my oil seepage is coming from the bottom of the Turbos built in Pop Off Valve? So could my vacuum problems lead to oil getting in there or do you think I have internal turbo issues?
langmd  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some continued analysis I believe the extra line I'm missing coming off the Y pipe after Purolator air oil separator is deleted because I have updated breather line running to the head which BTW has a large crack in the rubber 90°hose I have yet to replace.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is your intake system is full of condensated oil vapour from the sump building up. Its a known issue and worsened on a older/worn engine due to blow by of the rings which increases positive pressures in the sump. Even a non worn engine creates this oil mist to a more or lesser degree

Clean it all up. Fix all the oil leaks. Make sure no vacuum leaks. Compression test. Fire it up and drive.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: