Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Drove on track for the first time ever today!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to get one of my cars on a track some time just to see if I could put in lap times that weren't terrible..
I think I can drive pretty good, but maybe not, lol.. Trying hard sounds like a lot of fun though..

I have asked some people that race around here, but their is nothing but dirt track racers around here.. No street courses or even autoX that I have heard of or found..

Their isn't really much of a good class where 931s fit in, is their?
I think someone told me once that I'd have to run with 951s, and with the money people put into those things, it doesn't sound very fair..

I don't know much of anything about racing rules and regulations.. Sounds too expensive..

Closest AutoX I can find is 116 miles, and that's a bit far to maybe blow up my car and figure out how to drag it back..
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ok that's a lot to digest in the last day!

MikeJinCO wrote:
The Nitto 05's have a reputation for heating up quickly and loosing grip, more of an autocross tire. I use the Nitto 01's several of the small bore vintage racers around here use them as much less expensive and longer lasting than Hoosier race tires at the cost of maybe 2 seconds a lap.

Thanks for the tip! NT05 was the one that hit my price point for the immediacy. I didn't want to spend too much, and I needed something that would ride OK on the street, which this does. I'll keep the 01 in mind for next season with the 931 though! I'll have to get a second set of wheels, as I just got a set of Continental ECS on that car.. or wear them out.. Any idea how those tires fare on a track?

MikeJinCO wrote:
I intentionally did not keep track of all my expenses

I've made my better half aware of the expense.. I am not intending to cheap out if I can help it! This year is a learning curve for sure.. I appreciate the candor though. It helps to be prepared for the inevitable.

MikeJinCO wrote:
Miata

Nope

MikeJinCO wrote:
Formula Vee

There's a world class Type 1 (and other aircooled) engine builder around here that did some work on my Vanagon engine recently. I've talked with him about FV a bunch -- he's told me they are pretty expensive if you want to get serious.. Regular engine rebuilds and all that. And the difference between the top cars is tens of thousands $$$. Look super cool though.

Fifty50Plus wrote:
The key thing with what we do is to have fun.

Hear hear! I appreciate the encouragement, and I agree, this board and its members are hugely helpful. I really have found a deal of enjoyment from this relatively inexpensive car. I feel like I have a way to go before I hit bottom on this platform...

924RACR wrote:
Comparative points: the FVs and SMs are only just barely faster than our ITB car in full prep with me driving. All of 1-2s per lap depending on track, no more.

And they drive rather like a 924 too - but tend to be cheaper to track. Not a lot faster though.

All the more reason to stick with what I've got. Being a slower car in the pack felt plenty fast to me!
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
Great fun isn't it I would advise you to drive more with the car you have to fine hone your skills before any car swap.

Amazing fun. I didn't realize how good it would be. I will finish the year with this one and next year start with my 931. It's a great car, faster than 924, and I'm familiar with it. Dedicated 924S is a pipedream -- realistically I cannot buy another car right now. I swear I'm not addicted. I have the 931 already, and it's not in original condition, and when I finally get around to installing all the parts I have it'll be largely refreshed and mildly upgraded.

I really do want something faster though. I don't mind being at the back of the pack but it'd be nice not to get lapped so frequently! I couldn't pass anything on Friday... Stock-ish 931 seems a good middle-ground?

For now though I will add the sway bar and level the height, make sure I've got fresh fluid for the next day. I can probably dial in a tiny bit more advance also.. Not sure what else I can do performance wise.

MikeJinCO wrote:
The idea at this point for you is too have a great experience, the costs can add up quickly.... I would suggest Porterfield for brakes as they have a RS4 including pads for the drum brakes on the rear also... To get serious your talking over $1k in personal safety gear alone. That can be quite a bit of seat time on track days.

Yep.. I am having a blast and my cost for the rest of this season shouldn't be bad I don't think.. This one cost me $400 between event cost and track day insurance. I have Hagerty on all my classics, and my policy doesn't include track days -- need to purchase that separately. Safety gear is definitely important. I have a helmet, and for the class I'm in the stock 3 point belt is sufficient. I need ~4-6 days on track to progress to the next class, at which point I will have to invest in more. By that time (at least the next 1.5yrs) I should be able to handle it financially.

Thanks for the suggestion on the brakes!

Fasteddie313 wrote:
I'd really like to get one of my cars on a track some time just to see if I could put in lap times that weren't terrible..
I think I can drive pretty good, but maybe not, lol.. Trying hard sounds like a lot of fun though..

You should find the closest track and look up a schedule. Trying hard with a car you already know well, especially with an instructor to correct some things, is awesome and well worth the time and money.

I think a 931 with your level of power could hang REALLY well, to be honest.. based on what I saw Friday. Lighter and so more nimble than 951. Look up what your local PCA region/chapter is doing -- they are very clear in their rules, care about safety as a priority, and are super welcoming in my experience.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed - you should come visit us this weekend at Gingerman. Bring your helmet, they're open for lapping too, not just racing :
http://www.summerfestivalofspeed.com/

We are running the #77 ITB 924 (NA) in the sprint races.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Ed - you should come visit us this weekend at Gingerman. Bring your helmet

OMG you're gonna get me in trouble..
Was looking for something adventurous to do this weekend anyway.. Will seriously consider it..

Place to camp there or near?
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to add negative camber, super easy to do and gives alot more grip.

My stockish 931 made about 168hp at the hubs, about as fast as a 944 s2 on the straights, but more fun

Don't underestimate the extra effort needed to reliably run a turbo car on track compared to the simple n/a. There's much more stuff that needs to be in good order, and the consequences can be much more disastrous. The 2.5 have the 2nd rod bearing issue hoovering, most seem ok on track but it's a risk. Its faster of course though
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for negative camber; our racecar on Hoosiers likes about 3 degrees.

Ed: you can actually camp on-site at Gingerman, we will be. Not certain where we'll be paddocking, but usually we end up on the outside of Turn 2. Though if the paddock is a little slim, we may get closer to the main paddock area.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vees are great fun, we only have the 1300 vintage vees here thankfully , which i think is a better solution than the modern ones, since the engines last several seasons and you run on slidey historic racing tyres. But they are much slower than the modern ones you guys have.

Incredibly fun to drive and race, i rented one for a race weekend last year and have been thinking about buying my own, if only garage space weren't such a big issue.

Im in the red car:
[img]https://www.bildtagg.se/file/thumb/1o8jq15cjxsvmrj95zgdx5vw[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: