Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Brake Fluid reservoir

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Brake Fluid reservoir Reply with quote

My 1981 924 has a power brake fluid reservoir like most 924's. It seems to have two fluid outlets that have rubber seals and just seem to push into the Master cylinder. Every time I go to work on something done there in the vicinity, the reservoir seems to move to the side and the fluid leaks out the bottom. I have tried securing it with plastic tie wraps but it still will tip and lean over.
Is there something that clamps the reservoir in place on the master cylinder or does it just sit there and retained by the rubber plug seals?

I have had to clean up the Brake fluid mess twice now and bleed the brakes again because air got in the lines.
Seems like poor design but I thought perhaps I am missing something.
Any advice appreciated.
dogleg5  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess it's either not pushed all the way in or you've cracked the the tubes where they meet the reservoir. It shouldn't tilt or leak. Well maybe tilt slightly but definitively not leak based on my limited experience.
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Brake fluid Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. I don't think it is cracked because it does not leak if it is sitting straight up. It gets tilted when I work around that area, like on the AC compressor. Tight working space. I thought that there might be a clamp or something that I am missing. Just have to keep a careful eye when working in that area. Since I think the AC is now working I shouldn't have to get into that area much. ...Ted
KDJones2000  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not buy 2 new o-rings for it?

They are available individually.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about buying new grommets for the MC to reservoir. I would make sure also that due to wear on the existing grommets and having put pressure on the reservoir (causing it to tilt and leak) you have not created stress fractures in the reservoir legs which feed the master cylinder. The reservoir is just an extruded plastic piece and the legs are like any other plastic nipple you might see in a car, with just a single barb on the end. At least that's how they are on my other VW cars of the 60s-80s... They should be hardy enough but it's worth double checking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: