Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Clutch pedal no longer disengages clutch
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bureau13  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you have so much room right there? Is your AC compressor not in the car?

I just can't figure this out. From the way mine is sitting it looks like I would have to rotate the entire hardline 180 degrees along its axis which is not possible. I don't even know how it got this far off...I even remove it, I just pulled it out far enough to get wrenches on the nuts.

I hate this car so much right now, lol.

Did you have a little plastic "holder" thing on the hard line? The kind where you press the two ends together and stick them in a small hole, and it holds the line in position. Where is the hole? In the heat shield on the side opposite the engine block? Or somewhere else? Maybe that would give me some sort of clue.

Failing that who wants to buy this thing? I'm kdding. Mostly.

Nothing more frustrating than what should be an easy problem.
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bureau13 wrote:
How do you have so much room right there? Is your AC compressor not in the car?

No AC compressor in my car...so yes...more room.

Quote:

From the way mine is sitting it looks like I would have to rotate the entire hardline 180 degrees along its axis which is not possible. I don't even know how it got this far off...I even remove it, I just pulled it out far enough to get wrenches on the nuts.

I guess I don't understand why not. When I did mine I had to pull out the hard line and flex line as a unit. I don't remember how I did it, but I was able to fish it in there....line things up...then attach to the slave on the bottom and the MC up top.

Quote:
Did you have a little plastic "holder" thing on the hard line? The kind where you press the two ends together and stick them in a small hole, and it holds the line in position. Where is the hole? In the heat shield on the side opposite the engine block? Or somewhere else? Maybe that would give me some sort of clue.

I'm not remembering anything like that....but I see it in the parts diagram.

bureau13  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So back to this problem. I go back and forth between hating my car for the wastegate job (admittedly that's not the car's fault) and hating my car for this clutch line issue. My brain is convinced that it's not possible to fit this thing in unless I've got something else completely screwed up. But the only thing really would be the slave, and not sure what I could do to screw that up. I compared it to the old one, they seem the same.

So let's say my hard line was bad. Can a length of flexible hydraulic line be used instead? I honestly don't see why not. On my 928, one of the gurus has created a flexible clutch line that goes from the slave over to the side of the car. Now, admittedly, there is a metal line up the side, but I am sure this stuff is not that stretchy. It's really the only thing standing between me and pushing it in the canal at the moment. As bad a rep as the 928 has for some reason, I would MUCH rather work on that car.

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Haynes manual would say "installation is the opposite of removal." Not exactly...

It seems like a flexible line would work; it's not like it would be exposed to excessive heat.

One other idea.

Does your hard line look like the one in the diagram (above) with a 90 degree angle? That just seems odd.

When I look at the diagram for the early 944, the line is different and has a different part number. Maybe Porsche found a better route for the line with the 944.

And FWIW, the parts catalog for the 924 S show two different numbers

951 423 091 11 Clutch pipeline 86
944 423 091 00 Clutch pipeline 87-

So it looks like the engineers at Porsche fretted over that line as well.

bureau13  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to say exactly, but it looks more like the first picture than the second. Definitely not a close-to-righ-angle bend. The part that kills me is right where it connects to the flex line, it kicks off to the side at an angle, and no matter what I seem to be able to do, that angle is just about exactly the opposite of where it looks like it needs to go. With the line loosely attached at the (also loosely attached) slave cylinder, there's only so much you can rotate it around it's connection there. It's got me thinking that I've put it back in fundamentally wrong somehow, but there don't seem to be that many options.

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
bureau13  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added pics of the whole metal line and both ends. Plus, you can see from the previous pic (also in this folder) what I mean about the bend at the end...it goes exactly the wrong way, and that in order to rotate around that point, the part of the line going down towards the slave would actually have to be pointing up.

All of this made me wonder if it's possible I have it going in backwards?? The other end actually does look more like it could be made to work there. So I tried it, but then there's not enough of a bend at the slave cylinder. Best I can get is it comes in at like a 45 degree angle, which will never screw in there.

I can think of a million different reasons why this can't fit. What I can't reconcile is the incontrovertible fact that it did, before. And I'm pretty sure I didn't bend anything.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S8KvudaSFF2U6sWq7

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a brake line.. Bend it to where it needs to go..
bureau13  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
It's just a brake line.. Bend it to where it needs to go..

I was assuming that would be a bad thing to do? Hmmm...

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
bureau13  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just to put this one to bed, I used a couple brake line bending tools that I borrowed from a friend to put some bends in the line without crimping it. The more I think about it, the more I think I must have bent it getting it out the first time. There's just no way that was fitting as it was. I still ended up having a terrible time connecting the final bit to the master cylinder. Perhaps I should have done that first, and then connected the flex to the hard line, but I couldn't really get a tool on that. In the end it worked out. Bleeding this clutch was way easier than with the 928. Used a power bleeder for both, but the 928 has this hard line that goes from the side of the car up and over the starter and then down to the slave cylinder, and it's notorious for trapping air bubbles.

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: