Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Brake light help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
After_Thought  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Brake light help Reply with quote

I'm sure this question has been asked 100 times but I've only found one.

Finally got my 924 running and driving but the brake lights don't work. Turn signal/Hazzards work. Tail lights work. Reverse light doesn't (I don't care about that right now).

Replaced #6 fuse and nothing. My front headlights work. (I know there on the same fuse)

Checked the brake switch with a circuit tester and that seems to be working. Put the circuit tester on the out side of the switch and it seems to be getting power and completes the circute when brake is pressed.

What should my next step be? (Never worked on electronics like this) Ive replaced all of the bulbs and don't know what to do next. Any suggestions would be amazing. Thank you
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the grounds are often the problem but since they're shared between the brake, tail etc lights, and since your taillights work, that's not likely the problem.

Assuming you've ensured there's no corrosion in the bulb sockets.

So it would appear that you have a break in the brake (sorry, couldn't help myself!) light wiring between the switch and the bulbs; time to trace the wire and look for the break (again, I know)... or disconnect.

The wire runs past the driver's door under the carpet; if you pull back the trim on the sill etc you can start to get to it. A multimeter would be best for diagnosis; make a small jumper wire to short the BLS (brake light switch, in the industry abbreviation) to have it constantly energized, then start at the bulb and work your way forward until you see 12V. Then head back to the bulb socket, find the break/corrosion etc.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
After_Thought  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed it!!. there was corrosion where the bulb met the pannel.

had all of the lights working put it all back on the car then all of a sudden the tail lights didnt work. brakes lights still worked and turnsignal.

when i took it apart i released i switches the turn signal bulb with the tail light bulb. could that have shorted something?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean you switched the bulbs? No, that shouldn't have shorted anything. Sounds like more corrosion, perhaps it's time to remove the metal backing plate all the bulbs plug into and clean with metal polish to remove the rest of the corrosion?
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: