Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Oil with ZDDP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Oil with ZDDP Reply with quote

I have a 1981 Porsche 924 2 liter NA car. Although this is an overhead cam engine, does someone have a recommendation for an oil type that has sufficient level of ZDDP to protect the camshaft?
Thanks
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motul Classic was recommended by my mechanic
1981 Weissach Edition #179
TJC  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be may be many suggestions and although they are usually made with the best intentions one is wise to do their own follow up and contact the manufacturer's tech department to see if they agree.

Not trying to be a smart ass here but having built many an engine over the years and actually working in a high performance/racing engine machine shop in addition to my other auto racing/restoration experience allows me just enough of a level of arrogance to make me think my suggestions are qualified!!!

Having said that, if you want to stick with a "conventional" oil many are fond of Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W50 and Brad Penn (formally Kendall) and even Castrol here in the States. Motul and Porsche Classic are also possibilities. As far as synthetics go Mobil 1 Euro formula is a favored choice.

It's important to understand the whys and wherefores of the need for "ZDDP" in these engines and that would take a book to fully explain but basically it is a component that makes certain moving parts in an "old" tech engine happy. Why they got away from using it is another matter and involves of course "new" tech and the fact that too much "ZDDP" can affect catalytic convertors, etc.

In any event do your own due diligence, it's your engine and no one cares for it more than you do since you have to pay for any "mistakes". Good luck and have fun with your research!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Rotella T 15/40 diesel oil in all my flat tappet engines.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Raize  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the cheapest 20W-50 mineral oil and put the money I save aside for an eventual new camshaft and lifters*. Worked for the past decade...

*in an ideal world where it didn't cost more than another 924 engine or ten
anthonimartini  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

valvoline vr1 is the goto in the united states. brad penn is probably the best. at my shop (avant garde collection) we use total racing 20-50 in all the air cooled porsches and anything with an older engine design. although we use brad penn in our personal cars. fyi brad penn is available for pretty cheap in bulk on ebay.
83 944
87 924S
Instagram @anthoni.jpeg
formerly known as turbellion, lost password.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Penn 20W50
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting Rotella T6 in just about everything these days..

Put quite a lot of miles on it last summer and ran it hard..
Didn't explode..

Running great right now too..
dogleg5  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every one seems to like the heavier weight oils for this engine, even the previous owner of my car used 20/50. The owners manual has a whole range of weights for various temp ranges. I used to run 20/50 back in the 70"s. I can understand the 50 part bot wouldn't you want a thinner 10W for start ups? And I don't think any one mentioned synthetics. I would think the added protection of a synth would eliminate the need for ZDDP, no? If it's that important, I believe STP additive still contains it, and isn't it available as a stand alone additive?
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the owners manual, 20W50 has broad range of coverage except in really cool climates. If you live in a cooler climate like I do, and IF you drive your car in the winter, which I no longer do, then you might consider 10W40 for the cool half of the year.

These engines tend to run hot, especially the Turbos. The 20W50 is best, IMHO. Brad Penn is a partial synthetic. Full synth or synth blend obviates the need for a thinner oil for startup.

With as few miles as I drive mine, I put BP20W50 in, and change it every couple of years. My situation is different than most, though, as my fun driving gets spread around multiple cars, so my cars rarely see more than 1500 miles a season these days.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20w is not good for oil flow during start up of course, if you live in a hot place its less of a problem. Before the season is over it still can get freezing here, so i won't put it in my car. But its an oil thread so there will be many opinion and answers

Ive ran 5w40, 5w50, 10w60 and now im back to 5w50 mobil 1 if i remember correctly. If you don't do any track driving or similar a 5w40 would probably be better. Especially for a NA car.
dogleg5  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Was just wondering if there was a specific reason pertinent to this car for 20w50. No turbo, don't track so I'll probably go with a 10w40.
I've used a lot of different brands and weights over the years, in a lot of different vehicles and the only issue I ever had is with my 06 Civic Hybrid that spun a rod bearing running 0w20 Mobile1. Can't say for sure it was the oil or just bad luck, but Mobil1 is off my list, just in case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: