Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Water pump replacement on a 931

View previous topic :: View next topic  
poor-sche  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Water pump replacement on a 931 Reply with quote

For those of you that have replaced the water pump while the engine was still in the car, did you use the supplied gasket or did use gasket maker? I can’t seem to make enough room between the engine block and the tab on the control line. The pump barely fits in the space without the gasket; trying with the gasket is an exercise in futility. If I go with gasket maker, I’m afraid it’s going to scrape off when I squeeze it into place. I hate to think the solution is to cut off the tab.

MOTANUL  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the supplied gasket (very thin). I put it with great care and attention. It can break very easily. Try putting a little grease and two screws to hold the gasket in the correct position.

I also ordered new screws (the old ones were quite rusty).
Not all were the right length. So I mounted an old screw because the new one was too long and did not tighten. The rest were good.
bureau13  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Water pump replacement on a 931 Reply with quote

I also used the supplied gasket. It took some fiddling but I got it in OK.

poor-sche wrote:
For those of you that have replaced the water pump while the engine was still in the car, did you use the supplied gasket or did use gasket maker? I can’t seem to make enough room between the engine block and the tab on the control line. The pump barely fits in the space without the gasket; trying with the gasket is an exercise in futility. If I go with gasket maker, I’m afraid it’s going to scrape off when I squeeze it into place. I hate to think the solution is to cut off the tab.

2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
poor-sche  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can barely get it place without the gasket, but I'll give it another shot. Maybe I can get someone to pry the control line away from the block while I squeeze it in.

Is it just me or do jobs that appear easy at first glance always end up being much more difficult with this car. Things always seem to get hung up by a couple of millimeters. One component or another is always in the way of the next; much more so than any other car I've wrenched on.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideas would be gluing the gasket to the WP before install, and maybe just bending that tab out 1/4"..
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely recommend against removing the tab. Knowing these cars, there WILL be a vibration problem and things will break. Otherwise the engineers would not have put a tab there.

Great opportunity to remove that control line and replace the hose ends on it.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect the pipe at the turbo end? May give you more wriggle room?
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use victor reintz black silicone to keep the gasket on the pump, easy peasy.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it with using RTV to hold the gasket in place, but I will almost as an aside mention that I generally prefer to soak these type of gaskets - the paper fiber type - with oil to get the fibers to swell up - prior to install. While they sure won't hold in place much... disassembly becomes a breeze, they won't leak still, and there's no cleanup required after disassembly, they can often even be reused. This is big for us on the intake manifold and cam cover gaskets, on the racecar, when we want to remove and reinstall those somewhat frequently...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
K-Roll931  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the supplied gasket with a wee amount of oil to swell it up some. It was a challenge, but I stuck two bolts through the pump and gasket to guide it in, and spent a while trying to get everything to line up.

I succeeded and haven't had any leaks. It's the easiest water pump I'll ever change.
poor-sche  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to go with gluing the gasket to the block with a high-tack gasket sealant. Let it set overnight. All seemed well, the gasket was on good and tight. When installing the pump, it was a very tight fit. My fears came to fruition when coolant started leaking during filling. Leaked right from the bolt hole with the tab. Took it back apart, and sure enough, it looks like the gasket had shifted and was torn when I inserted the bolt. If you look at the closeup below, you can see where the “glue” was squeezed out. Don’t know if there’s something weird about my particular car or I’m just much worse at wrenching than I thought. Either way, I’m just going to remove the tab.

924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gonna vibrate and break elsewhere. Take the tube off at one end.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove the tab the pipe will vibrate, crack or wear a hole in itself. Then you have a massive boost leak you cannot locate without tearing the motor down. I will be the last place to look. As said before, remove the rubber elbow at the turbo end to give you more wriggle room.
TJC  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree that the tab should not be removed.
Generally engineers and designers have valid reasons for making a part the way they do...even though those of us who work on the beasts later would like to wring their necks for doing such devious things.
This is one of those "do it right now or do it again later" jobs. And good luck finding a replacement tube with an intact tab when you need one.
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: