Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Front brake rotor/discs & pads for base model 1977 924?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinotdino  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Front brake rotor/discs & pads for base model 1977 924? Reply with quote

Hello, wondering if anyone can recommend where I can get a set of front 4 lug brake discs & pads for my base 1977 924? (Non turbo & no sport package) open to brands and do not need to stay stock. Hoping for a set with a bit more bite then what’s on currently. Any other tips would be great! *rear is drum brakes

Cheers![/img]
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porterfield has the R4-S higher performance front pads and also rear shoes. I have the shoes on my car. Combo worked fine at PD school. I got the R4-S shoes as I figured a much better quality than some aftermarket rebuild crap and a real pain to change. Hawk would have the fronts also as they are the rear on the 5 bolt(&944) setup. Hawk would go from high performance to full race on that.
Poco a Poco, #033 '78 Vintage racer, SCCA Dp-81
'77 924
cricketdesigns.com
pinotdino  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJinCO wrote:
Porterfield has the R4-S higher performance front pads and also rear shoes. I have the shoes on my car. Combo worked fine at PD school. I got the R4-S shoes as I figured a much better quality than some aftermarket rebuild crap and a real pain to change. Hawk would have the fronts also as they are the rear on the 5 bolt(&944) setup. Hawk would go from high performance to full race on that.

Thanks for the reply and info. I’ll take a look at these pads and options. Now I just need to locate good sport/street rotors. 4 lug is not easy to find with options. Cheers!
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you from experience, that the front rotors are pretty good. I have been tracking my car for several years now and other than getting some good pads (as already indicated by MikeJ) I have had no problem with rotor warping or brake fade.

I think I am even using the standard rear brake shoe on my car as well.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
pinotdino  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikesCoupeGT wrote:
I can tell you from experience, that the front rotors are pretty good. I have been tracking my car for several years now and other than getting some good pads (as already indicated by MikeJ) I have had no problem with rotor warping or brake fade.

I think I am even using the standard rear brake shoe on my car as well.

Thanks for the reply.. good to hear.. now I just need a good source to buy. I've noticed it's not easy to find 4 lug and even certain parts for my 77' base 924. Even drove it today to work in the rain. ha!
Cédric  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my n/a i used hawk HP+, excellent pads that could take hours on track, and also worked on the road. However they needed one or two hard brakings to cone to life. Maybe their HPS pad is better for a pure street car.

I always ran stock at the rears, but rebuilding the calipers is always a good idea on sliding calipers, and maybe some fresh brake lines. Cheap amd easy while your there.

Good luck!
pinotdino  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
On my n/a i used hawk HP+, excellent pads that could take hours on track, and also worked on the road. However they needed one or two hard brakings to cone to life. Maybe their HPS pad is better for a pure street car.

I always ran stock at the rears, but rebuilding the calipers is always a good idea on sliding calipers, and maybe some fresh brake lines. Cheap amd easy while your there.

Good luck!

Thanks Cedric! I am getting ready to run the HPS on my Cayman S (since I talked to a lot of ppl that love them) so I might try on the 924. Just trying to find the right 4-lug rotors for the front. I'll also upgrade the brake lines.
Paul  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-brake-disc-zimmermann-477405583b
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Paul  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/porsche,1977,924,2.0l+l4,1263226,brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor,1896

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1075550&cc=1263226&jsn=11
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken, and I may be so feel free to correct. The Rotors on our 924's are Super Beetle fare. Should be easily sourced. I can't say that I have looked but the links already listed are good.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
pinotdino  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikesCoupeGT wrote:
If I am not mistaken, and I may be so feel free to correct. The Rotors on our 924's are Super Beetle fare. Should be easily sourced. I can't say that I have looked but the links already listed are good.

Cheers.. thanks.. Ok, I've been able to locate 4 lug rotors as well as the correct pads.. but now searching for the hardware kit to go with it.. no luck as all I find is 5 lug (which Pelican said it will be different then the 4 lug for hardware) hmmmm... any ideas?

Just need new hardware for front brake pads.. *pins, springs..etc

I've looked at Pelican, AutoAtlanta, FCP, PartsGeek.. Suncoast..
Paul  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-caliper-front
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some extra rebuild kits for the rear drums if you need them. The fronts are the same as early 944 rear(I believe), Cedric(?) maintains that the aftermarket rubber seals are not nearly as good for higher performance as the stock Porsche(ATE) ones. Sunset Porsche in Portland gives discount, but still over $50 per set.
Poco a Poco, #033 '78 Vintage racer, SCCA Dp-81
'77 924
cricketdesigns.com
Cédric  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my rubbers ended up completely toasted and cracking to bits after just 1-2 track days, the ATE lasted for several seasons. However if you only gonna do road driving this factor might be less important, it do show that all kits are not equal though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: