Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 Project Car Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parias  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: 931 Project Car Questions Reply with quote

Hi All,

Warm welcome to the forum. Great knowledge you have build here.

I am a Porsche enthusiast with a flair for transaxles. Decade ago I owned 924 and since 2018 I have 944 series 1 car that has some soft mods to the suspension making it handle pretty fine. The car is in overall good shape and I used it for classic rallys or trips on some nice roads.

These long winter days I am considering if not to involve myself into a project car which would be most likely 924 Turbo. I wonder which one to go for 931 Series 1 or Series 2. My intension would be to buy complete car with good body & interior but requiring some mechanical work. Is it a good idea? Or some comments I read about 924 Turbo are true - it is very expensive car to maintain and repair? It is true getting parts is very difficult to keep the car in good running order?

I appreciate your help and apologies ahead if I restart old topic. I could not find answers using search function.

BR
Parias

Edit: I clarified my question based on Carrera RSR input.

Was:
924 80'
924 82'

"Standing in line is easy, finding your way isn't."

Last edited by Parias on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

931 = LHD turbos
932 = RHD turbos

the other 'flavours' are series 1 or series 2. Both have pro and cons

Just buy the best turbo you can find ideally already in Denmark (assume you are Brande, Denmark) to avoid large import duty
Parias  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I got the codes wrong, indeed I was after S1 and S2. Thanks for clarification. Is there a thread or is it possible in a nutshell point out pros/cons of the both types?

Indeed there is a high import duty which is linked with the car shape to my understanding which is one of the arguments to go for a car which is not in best shape and work from there.

Was:
924 80'
924 82'

Parias  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone able to point me where I can read about differences between S1 and S2 with pros/cons? Thanks in advance.

Assuming I go either way for disc breaks and 7HP does not make a major difference for me which one is better? I understood S2 has Siemens DITC engine mngt and this is more tricky than Bosch DME from S1.

Was:
924 80'
924 82'

morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S1 feels like a 924.
S2 is smoother and feels somehow inbetween the 924 and the 944.
I love the S2 but i also love the S1
Yeah S2 has sensors and an analog brain box. The crank sensor is no longer available to buy new and old ones cost a bit if yours is broken.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t focus on buying S1 or S2 too soon. The pros and cons can be overcome either way later on. The performance and driving difference is negligible. The specs on trim and mechanicals is ultimately the same save for a few tweaks such as green dials on early and white dials on late. Some colour combos are only S1. Some are only S2. Given the limited number of cars in the European market, then buy the best you can afford in the best colour combo you are happy with. Don’t be tempted by a big project in a view to saving money. It will bite you later when you find previous owner bodges and lack of care costs you more to fix. A car that is already driving regularly is worth more than a long dead one.

I listed more differences here https://porsche924.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=16682 but you will need member access to read unfortunately.......but its a great club and many euro folks here are also on UK club forum
Parias  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both for your input. I came across a decent S1 from 1979 in greay with red-blue pasha interior that I like which was not used much in last months-years. What would you reckon a fair price shall be? Car had a burned piston, since then pistons and piston seals as well as engine gaskets were done. Paint and interior is average condition.

Was:
924 80'
924 82'

Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car came from Sweden, i tried to help the owner when he blew the engine, but he sold it instead. Check the work and details around it. I would also check what they did with the fuelling and ignition so it won't happen again. Not sure what they want for it know, it was bough cheaply with the engine broken. But such repairs are not for everyone, so they tend to do that.
Parias  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cédric, this is the car in question. Thanks for some clarification over it. But current price in is on the high end.

Was:
924 80'
924 82'

Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got some pictures on it from the last sale, but maybe it have been fixes since, but the interior was pretty awful.

Maybe try getting a good deal on this one? It have been out for a long time now. Maybe 10k eur bid? Market is small for these cars in sweden.

Jag vill tipsa om en annons på Blocket: Porsche 924 Turbo 177hk https://www.blocket.se/vi/88717025.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: