Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Camshaft Pulley Key/Dot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raize  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Camshaft Pulley Key/Dot Reply with quote

I have put my camshaft pulley on backwards. It has been running like this for a long time with the indented dot lined up with the cam cover pointer and the flywheel on the zero mark.

Now I just found out that the dot should be on the back (closest to the pointer) of the pulley, not the front!

Can anyone confirm if the camshaft pulley woodruff key and TDC dot are either in line with each other or 180 degrees out from each other (ie, it doesn't matter if it's backwards) or if I need to redo my pulley and valve timing.

The most helpful thing would be a photo of a 924 camshaft pulley from the side with the dot, showing the position of the key slot and the dot.
Raize  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found images.

So there are indented dots on BOTH sides, but not in the same place!

The one in line with the keying groove must be the timing dot. Thus it doesn't matter if the pulley is on backwards as it will always end up in the same place.
scm924s  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find 924 owners over here who have supercharged their cars and may be interested in your cars development.

https://porsche924.co.uk/
1984 n/a Black - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#2- sold
1977 Martini - sold
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stan. I didn’t notice that in his signature until you said! I ran an M62 on my 924 for a few years before more recently swapping to an m90. Worth noting at this point though I’m yet to make any more power with the M90 so the more efficient m62 was plenty!

Glad you found the answer to your question about the cam. Tbh though, if it’s running then it must be right as cam timing can’t be more than a couple of teeth or so out until it dramatically affects the running.
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit....turns out my signature on here is so out of date it still says I have a M62! That was about 6 years ago it changed to M90!
Raize  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro924S2 wrote:
Thanks Stan. I didn’t notice that in his signature until you said! I ran an M62 on my 924 for a few years before more recently swapping to an m90. Worth noting at this point though I’m yet to make any more power with the M90 so the more efficient m62 was plenty!

Glad you found the answer to your question about the cam. Tbh though, if it’s running then it must be right as cam timing can’t be more than a couple of teeth or so out until it dramatically affects the running.

Given how well the car was running before with the pulley on backwards it's not surprising that it can go on both ways. The belt would probably be more central with the pulley on the right way round, but it doesn't overhang, so... who cares.

As for the supercharger, it's rather delayed by the sorry state of the rest of the car unfortunately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: