Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Replacing or refurbing wastegate (Tial, perhaps?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOTANUL  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture with the area.
I manage to remove the wastegate without breaking any studs. (the same with turbo studs).

Instead exhaust gaskets were damaged and I had to order new. (very hard to find).

I think there is no need to dismantle the turbo or the starter.
But you need to dismantle the entire front of the exhaust.

https://ibb.co/vJ7QL0J

More pictures here:
https://ibb.co/BPKyxD7
https://ibb.co/Njp2Cm9
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=43986&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=43986&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the exhaust gaskets are simple to find. Just order new ones from a Porsche centre.

I have the smaller 944 turbo starter, and I cannot remove exhaust and wastegate without removing the starter. But I realised my current exhaust is mahoosive compared to the stock version.
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bureau13 wrote:
So the starter thing is confirmed?

Confirmed. Frees up a lot of room to work.
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing or refurbing wastegate (Tial, perhaps?) Reply with quote

bureau13 wrote:
I will very likely just buy a Tial

Here is my question...how would one mount the TiAL? The stock 931 WG has the extra bracket on the "hat" that bolts to the car.

bureau13  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing or refurbing wastegate (Tial, perhaps?) Reply with quote

Good question. Supposedly, the Tial is considerably lighter...perhaps its light enough that it doesn't require the extra bracket? That does seem a little dodgy though...

chuck21401 wrote:
bureau13 wrote:
I will very likely just buy a Tial

Here is my question...how would one mount the TiAL? The stock 931 WG has the extra bracket on the "hat" that bolts to the car.

2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will probably need spacers to mount on the stock exhaust. Will be smaller and lighter so no brackets will be required
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite part about this thread is that the ebay seller is a former 'one of us' who moved on to a 930 from a 931

Engineer White.

I also bought one of his kits because it was cheap enough to not machine one myself but it isn't installed yet. Will post when I have it together. Wastegate was functioning but we had everything else out so why not go through it all
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
bureau13  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I removed the J-pipe and was basically looking to confirm my suspicious about the wastegate. I hooked up my air compressor to the hose that leads to the wastegate from the charge pipe, and the bottom "door" didn't budge. Also, I could hear what sounded like a LOT of air whooshing out somewhere, but it wasn't any place I could feel. It sounded like it was coming from above the wastegate. If the diaphragm is compromised, causing the door to not open, does that air exit via the top port? If so, that would make sense.

Also...how hard is that door to move? I tried pushing up on it and it didn't budge.

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bureau13 wrote:
If the diaphragm is compromised, causing the door to not open, does that air exit via the top port? If so, that would make sense.

Yes!

bureau13 wrote:

Also...how hard is that door to move? I tried pushing up on it and it didn't budge.

Pretty hard.. I don't think you are going to do it with your thumb, but no so strong that you can't disassemble/reassemble the spring by hand..

Maybe around 20 lbs to move the valve?

If the top of the diaphragm is about 2.5" for 5 sq inches and it should open at like 6 psi then 6X5=30 lbs to move the valve or compress the spring?

Just guessing..
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bureau13 wrote:
So I removed the J-pipe and was basically looking to confirm my suspicious about the wastegate. I hooked up my air compressor to the hose that leads to the wastegate from the charge pipe, and the bottom "door" didn't budge. Also, I could hear what sounded like a LOT of air whooshing out somewhere, but it wasn't any place I could feel. It sounded like it was coming from above the wastegate. If the diaphragm is compromised, causing the door to not open, does that air exit via the top port? If so, that would make sense.

Good idea to test it that way. The valve should move...it doesn't take much if it is working correctly. I posted this link on the other thread...a small handheld compressor will move the valve with 5-6 PSI. https://youtu.be/qg84Pz54Lqw

I agree, the air would exit via the top port.

When I had my WG on the bench I tried to push the valve up using two thumbs...didn't work so I gave up. I think it would be very difficult to do from under the car.

Unfortunately it sounds like you'll have to pull the WG and open it up to see what's going on in there. I got lucky, the WG diaphragm had simply come loose. I replaced the valve guide while I was in there. Who knows if it really needed to be done but the WG is working fine now.

I'm actually under my car again today....replacing the studs from the turbo to the exhaust and tightening everything back together.
bureau13  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to pulling that thing out. I've heard it's pretty common to break the bolts, although everything came out easily with the j-pipe. I've been told I need to drop the starter and the exhaust, although it doesn't really look like it to me? Also, I know there's a bracket holding the top part of the wastegate in place, but I didn't see it. Not a lot of room in there...is it difficult to access those bolts? This sounds like a good candidate for borrowing my friends lift...

chuck21401 wrote:
bureau13 wrote:

Good idea to test it that way. The valve should move...it doesn't take much if it is working correctly. I posted this link on the other thread...a small handheld compressor will move the valve with 5-6 PSI. https://youtu.be/qg84Pz54Lqw

I agree, the air would exit via the top port.

When I had my WG on the bench I tried to push the valve up using two thumbs...didn't work so I gave up. I think it would be very difficult to do from under the car.

Unfortunately it sounds like you'll have to pull the WG and open it up to see what's going on in there. I got lucky, the WG diaphragm had simply come loose. I replaced the valve guide while I was in there. Who knows if it really needed to be done but the WG is working fine now.

I'm actually under my car again today....replacing the studs from the turbo to the exhaust and tightening everything back together.

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bureau13 wrote:
This sounds like a good candidate for borrowing my friends lift...

A lift would be very helpful. My car is up on jack stands with ramps under the tires just in case. Not easy to work on the car this way...but doable.

Last edited by chuck21401 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bureau13 wrote:
I've been told I need to drop the starter and the exhaust, although it doesn't really look like it to me? Also, I know there's a bracket holding the top part of the wastegate in place, but I didn't see it.

The starter must be removed. I'm replacing the studs on the exhaust side of the turbo and was hoping to avoid removing the starter...but there is on bolt that connects the bypass pipe to the wastegate that isn't otherwise accessible.
So I had to pull that too. Luckily I didn't have to remove the J-pipe for the job I'm doing now. Be sure to remove the positive and negative wires from the battery...and put the car in neutral. You don't want to have the starter engage by mistake when reinstalling the wiring.

The bracket holding the wastegate in place is fairly accessible once everything else is out of the way. Here's a pic from when I was reinstalling the WG after fixing the diaphram and new valve guide. I left the U-clamp on the torque tube...only had to remove two bolts to get it out of there...not all 4.

bureau13  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a related but possibly odd question. So, for the wastegate to open, it requires both the boost from the control line and the exhaust backpressure to press hard enough to overcome the spring, right? Does anyone know what boost would be achieved if we remove the control line from the equation? In other words, if we solely rely on backpressure to open the wastegate, what be the boost limit?

No, I'm not planning on going with this type of setup, I'm just curious and doing some other experiments while awaiting a chance to change out or repair the wastegate diaphragm.

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on the waste gate spring installed.......0.5, 0.7, 1.0 bar boost springs?? Needs boost line pressure to control the valve, not exhaust
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: