Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

advantages of 924 on track?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesse wall  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: advantages of 924 on track? Reply with quote

There are 4 guys here in the Danville Va. area heading for the track Two of us have started working on 924s cars one has very early 944 , first year of production the other wants a track car. All of us are prmarily interested in 944 cup racing as a goal , The engine is less trouble , how about parts, what car years are best for track? Do you want the 5 hole brake and wheel system? There is the question of weight, how can you get down to 2000 lbs even with body panels? What difference in suspension if you go from the previous weight of ita like scott's car with 30 mm t bars and 400 front springs? Of course these weights are with driver/ if I only need to get down to 105 to be competetive thats only about half way to disappearing all together What are your thoughts? Sorry folkss no S intended our group were wondering about the 77 to 82 924 cars , some around here very cheap we thought they might make a great track car built just for fun and the 944 cup what are the good the bad and the ugly? What to look for ? Jesse

Last edited by jesse wall on Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to more info on the 944 Cup Series. 924 cars allowed and only NA? Is this a street class or full blown race car or both?.........Jesse, 5 bolt is the ticket on the wheel and brakes. All 924s's are 5 bolt. The larger the brake the better except when they add too much unsprung weight. Springs are a matter of feel. Some guys have 1000Lbs.+ for springs. So it is a matter of how you wnat the car to handle in corners. 400 would be ok just not as stiff. As far as weight goes, if the cars are full blown race cars then removing all the carpet, sound deadening material and the rear hatch w/glass etc. Common sense here, just remove anything that is not needed on the car. As far as advantages go the 924s is more aerodynamic than the 944 and a little lighter and about 3-4 MPH faster than the 944, not much of a difference. Parts are all the same, engine and tranny wise, from 85.5 and up. And of course going with fiberglass or CF for the fenders, doors and lids will reduce the weight. So depending on what the 944 Cup requirements on the car are will determine the set-up. 924RACR, Gohim and the Pro's here can get you going! So if I am off base a bit here please set me str8! GL D
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, guys, you need to look at the Cup rules more closely. The weight for the 924 is 2100lbs. The weight for the 924S (with the 944 motor) is around 2800 last I checked (info on the Cup website does need to be updated to be exact). The use of CF/fiberglass and lexan are only allowed on the 2.0L 924, not the 924S.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="924RACR"]Sorry, guys, you need to look at the Cup rules more closely.

As I stated " I need the info on the Cup rules" Where are they? But again if any info given is incorrect I need to know! I learn by error! D
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.944cup.com is the homepage for the Cup.
http://944cup.zeroforum.com/zeromain is the discussion forum where we've been talking about weights, etc. The updates for 2003 to the rules have to some degree been posted there. The weights are there, and the notes regarding CF/glass use. I expect they will be published properly on the website before the start of the season.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your planning on running SCCA, fiberglass panels are not legal for ITA, even though we should be allowed to run them. It's not like were world beaters in SCCA with this car, ok maybe Vaughan, but keep that in mind if your planning on doing that. I'm running about half SCCA and half 944 Cup this season so I hope to see you guys out there with us! The 924 is a blast even with the rear disc brakes, 30mm torsion bars and trick front set up. With a "stock" 924NA you can play with the 944's. I just think the 944's get a little pricey after a while especially with the parts. If you email me off line, I can get you hooked up with a guy in Northern VA looking to get rid of his 944 suspension & brakes, etc. for $400!!! Bolts right onto your 924 tub. That price is insane. We purchased the same set of pieces plus a set of phone dials for $900 shipped from FLA. Still a great deal for that.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughn the question is ..are glass panels and lexan forbidden on the 924S and 944 period. I person could use those items if the weight match the rules?

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the 944 and 924S couldn't use glass, CF, or lexan, except that PCA-prepared cars I think may be allowed to use lexan windshields. You'd have to check PCA rules for that, I don't have them. Certainly not the hatch, though. 944's will have to run ballast to make weight, for the most part.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
944 Cup  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All PCA cars who race in PCA club events, stock and prepared, are permitted to use lexan windshileds.

For the 924 2.0L car, yes all that stuff you wre talking about works for the Cup

We are experiencing problems updating our page with the updated rules/weights due to yet unknown problems. Webmaster doing best to solve problem. However, if you go to the talk forum on the 944 Cup web site, you'll find posts from me that conatin the new rules(few few excpet for 924) and weights .

Dave Derecola
Director
944 Cup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: