Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Refinishing vertical side window trim

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bureau13  



Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 161
Location: South Florida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Refinishing vertical side window trim Reply with quote

I'm not sure what this piece is called, specifically, but it's the black metal (?) piece between the door window glass and the rear window. The paint is faded and worn off, but since it's just painted metal, and not plastic, you can't rub on some Back To Black for even a temporary fix. Does this just need to get painted like any of the rest of the metal body parts?

Similar question for the exterior door handle. In that case, I don't know what it's made of, but it's a very smooth, non-porous surface, which I assume was at one time black? It's just very light grey now, which seems wrong. However, it doesn't have the obvious worn paint look, like the trim mentioned above, so maybe it was always that color?
_________________
-----------------------------------------
1982 931
1986.5 Silver 928S
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gerben1986  



Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 227
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Refinishing vertical side window trim Reply with quote

bureau13 wrote:
I'm not sure what this piece is called, specifically, but it's the black metal (?) piece between the door window glass and the rear window. The paint is faded and worn off, but since it's just painted metal, and not plastic, you can't rub on some Back To Black for even a temporary fix. Does this just need to get painted like any of the rest of the metal body parts?

Similar question for the exterior door handle. In that case, I don't know what it's made of, but it's a very smooth, non-porous surface, which I assume was at one time black? It's just very light grey now, which seems wrong. However, it doesn't have the obvious worn paint look, like the trim mentioned above, so maybe it was always that color?

Indeed both should be black.
What I did in the past: cover the car, take a rattle can and spray it back to black
_________________
911SC - 1980
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bureau13  



Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 161
Location: South Florida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Refinishing vertical side window trim Reply with quote

I've actually done similar for the plastic or rubber parts, using paint for automotive trim. In this case...any particular kind of paint?

gerben1986 wrote:
bureau13 wrote:
I'm not sure what this piece is called, specifically, but it's the black metal (?) piece between the door window glass and the rear window. The paint is faded and worn off, but since it's just painted metal, and not plastic, you can't rub on some Back To Black for even a temporary fix. Does this just need to get painted like any of the rest of the metal body parts?

Similar question for the exterior door handle. In that case, I don't know what it's made of, but it's a very smooth, non-porous surface, which I assume was at one time black? It's just very light grey now, which seems wrong. However, it doesn't have the obvious worn paint look, like the trim mentioned above, so maybe it was always that color?

Indeed both should be black.
What I did in the past: cover the car, take a rattle can and spray it back to black

_________________
-----------------------------------------
1982 931
1986.5 Silver 928S
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Johann  



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Posts: 219
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) You need to rub it down with fine sanding paper start with 800 and work your way op to 3000.

2) Mask of the area
3) Spray with a primer
4) repeat step 1
5) Spray with satin black

The door handles can be done in the same way, but I would suggest you take them off the car. And while you're in there order new rubbers and a trim strip.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bureau13  



Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 161
Location: South Florida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thank you.

Johann wrote:
1) You need to rub it down with fine sanding paper start with 800 and work your way op to 3000.

2) Mask of the area
3) Spray with a primer
4) repeat step 1
5) Spray with satin black

The door handles can be done in the same way, but I would suggest you take them off the car. And while you're in there order new rubbers and a trim strip.

_________________
-----------------------------------------
1982 931
1986.5 Silver 928S
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group