Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Stage Next...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CÚdric wrote:

Weird with the plates, aren't those bound to the car?

No, they just keep track of what plate is on what car really..
It's a little complicated and expensive to keep cars legal.. Prolly costs $1,500 to $2,000 of money you will never see again per year per car so I only keep one or 2 cars legal at a time..

I'm trying to lean it out gradually but I kinda don't want to blow it up for a little while.. Atleast until the season is almost over.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got huge compliments at the gas station today..
It was packed so I had to back into a spot at the pump next to some younger dude in a lifted jeep and he was all "Your car is so badass that thing is sick!" etc and I try to be modest and mention that it's rough and a work in progress and he said "I don't care, you never see those things, seriously that is badass" and all I could do was say thank you..

Drove all over town to stores and stuff today and then went out and practiced 1st to 2nd double clutch shifts and got it figured out a bit so I can actually jump out into traffic and take off through my first shift at a reasonable rate..

Pulled @ 16psi today and it stayed above 10 AFR but still need to take more out of the top..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've turned all the nannies off and am just running on my base map now, it feels the best this way.. I've turned off the (AFR) Ego correction so it isn't trying to change my mix to meet my targets exactly, I've tuenrd off the TPS enrichment so it's not acting like a pumper carb, I've turned off the overrev fuel cut for coasting fueling and still need to work on that some because it's a bit rich on coast but not insane..

It feels good and it's really given me the idea from looking at the logs of this that their is a certain amount of variance in CIS plate swing where it's just not going to be the same everywhere all the time due to its momentum of change or whatever..

If you stomp it it goes rich for a second and then a little lean spike as the plate bounces and when you completely get off the throttle it basically cuts the fuel for a second and bounces back to a decent AFR..

It is just what it does, but because of these effects depending on what is happening the computer can only do so much to calculate where I should be because it doesn't seem to understand the idea of some bad data from changing conditions I think..

Like, the analysis keeps wanting to set me super rich on decel becuse it ses my AFR going to 20 when I drop off the throttle, but in actual deceleration down a hill or something that would put me like in the 10's when I'm almost off the gas pedal..
It needs to be setup to aim for a final result rather than its first reaction..

This is where I'm at..

But the very bottom row of decel needs to come down a bit further up the RPM range like the idle area because I'm still in the 12s-13s when I'm all the way off the gas coasting..

Fuel cut for coast works great while coasting but gives a bit of a sudden onset when I get back on the gas when the fuel comes back on.. That is not the greatest for like parking lot speed or in the middle of corners..

All over cruise that is about 14.2-15.2 with no correction help, about to 13 at 100kpa and dropping through the 12s into the low 11s on boost at about 200kpa, 1 bar of boost, 15 psi ish-area..

I am actually pretty comfortable driving it up to about 1 bar the way it is.. It cruises decent in the mid 14s touching the low 15s and starts putting on the fuel above 100kpa..

I haven't really logged what my boost controller thing rads at exactly what boost levels so it's like add a little, add a little more, and I have been testing it all over the place from spring to about 16psi..

If I pump the thing until the gauge goes around once and reads about 50 again it gives about 1 bar of boost, and I feel it is good to run anywhere in there as it is, so I am very happy with it, but I'm thinking my top port pressurizer could use a sort of pressure bladder because that gauge goes crazy when the WG is opening at higher boost, it just freaks right out to where I have no idea what it is almost reading..

I don't even want to tell you what I did to my rear shifter coupling today but my shifter is better and I really need to drop the rear end and do it for real some time but that is a big job.

Still no darn turn signals.. I was hoping they would magically work by now but no..

I've been putting $20-$30 in gas every day I drive it and haven't been further than 10 miles from my house so that might give you an idea of what I've been doing to it..

Noahs944 wrote:
Yes, vids and pics are welcome!

Any specific requests?
Maybe a curvy drive video where you can see the vac/boost and AFR gauges?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried but it turned out terrible..
https://youtu.be/1ac-Ip2RF-E
Maybe better luck next time..
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool stuff, compressor howls nicely. keep it up.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm chasing the cause of some small AFR spikes so I took 4 logs with different BOV setups.. I did spring pulls from 2500RPM to 5500 RPM for each..

This first log is how I have 99% of the time been running it, 3 turns out from bottom on the BOV and recirculating line connected..

This next log is with the BOV recirculating line still connectd and screwed all the way tight for the most spring pressure..

This next log is with my BOV DISCONNECTED from the recirc line, recirc line plugged, and BOV 3 turns out from bottom..

This got rid of the super lean spike right when I drop the throttle, but that is not what I am after.. It also caused an incredibly lean decel..

This last log was with the BOV disconnected from the recirculating line, recirculating line plugged, and the BOV adjustment bottomed out tight..

I got a lean spike at first because I slapped the gas pedal wide open from decel but that is still not what I am chasing after.. This setup was quite drivable making me only maybe 1 AFR point leaner in decel which I could work with..

Now let me look at all of these charts in one spot for a second and see if any of them helped the problem I am trying to fix..
I guess not really..

This is what I am trying to fix circled in yellow..

It seems like I get on the gas and my AFR drops nicely, then it comes up a little, then it drops back down to where it needs to be.. You see that little AFR spike in boost on every one of those charts, just after the boost settles in, like right when the WG opens..

I do not like that and want to solve it.. I could care less if it spikes lean when I get off the throttle but when I come on boost I need it to go down and friggin stay down..

It's like boost comes on and it drops to 12, then back up to 13, then settles down into the 11s where I want it to be..

Here is an example of going through a couple of gears..

I don't think this bounce to 13 AFR is going to blow me up at 10-15 PSI but I sure don't think that's good for 20psi you know what I mean..

I need to figure out WTF this is and fix it..
Any ideas?

Now that I see that it doesn't really have anything to do with the BOV I think I need to take some logs at incrimentally higher boost levels and see if is the same bounce at higher boost.. This actually has me thinking that it is the largest at lower boost or no boost..

Well, it looks like recirculating and BOV tight is the best.. I'll hook it back up that way..

More logs to make..
I have made so many logs you wouldn't believe..

Here is my VE map those logs were taken on..

As you can see their is no area in my map that goes leaner as RPM goes up or as pressure goes up..
This had no EGO correction under 100kpa and accel enrichment turned off also..

The only other thing I can think of is that I'm not running an IAT sensor yet so maybe I am getting a fluctuation in my actual IAT like a burst of cold air or something..

Last edited by Fasteddie313 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an older log with a bit higher boost..

And you can se the spike to 12.4 AFR there too.

And look at this one..

That is off the same log and you can see the spike before boost even really comes on..

It is like a delayed lean spike after the TPS goes up..

Grrrr
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see I have been ripping on this car pretty hard and nothing has broke yet.. I drive it all around to all the stores and places just as I usually do on a regular basis.. It has me looking for excuses to run to the store.. I have put over $100 in gas in it now..
I am getting to where I can drive it very well and smooth..

This car is so fun! Even without pumping my boost up it is super fun to scoot around town and stuff..

Had to go to my moms the other day to fix a dripping valve and she went back to town with me to get a new one.. We did thst snd stopped at a garage sale where someone was asking too much for a 10/22..
She commented that the seats were very comfortable and I agree.. I love the oldschool soft feeling of the seats and the super low seat height..

That day and a couple days I drove around with the top off and it is really nice cruising with the top off and windows down.. The car is awesome cruising at 55-70 and makes great noise at lower speeds .. It has great visibility.

I love this car. It's an event every time I drive anywhere for any reason. This is definitely my favorite car..

Maybe I can find an excuse to go for a longer drive soon since it has been somewhat proven to be reliable.. I do keep a bunch of tools in it though, lol..

A crap ton of groceries do infact fit in the back of this car but stick your milk somewhere it won't slide around because you will forget about it and pull some Gs..

I check the oil like twice a day and it hasn't lost a drop.. Water is also doing exactly what it's supposed to..

Lots of little stupid things still need messed with but it is so great just as it is..
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to map it on a dyno? Easier to make adjustments and spot issues?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe..
That would be fun and I can just drive there now, but what do I say to them?

"Uh, hey guy.. Do you want to try to tune this crazy contraption you have never heard of?"

It also just occurred to me that I can log the airplate position to see if it bounces or whatever..
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:

It also just occurred to me that I can log the airplate position to see if it bounces or whatever..

Thats a cool idea, i'd be curious to see how it moves.
Maybe you have a bug in your maps?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went on 2 30 mile trips today to pick up car parts and she cruised like a champ.. This car cruises at speed extremely well and effortlessly in the high 14s and low RPMs.. I bet it will get great MPGs when I'm not flogging it, like today..

I have been running my BOV open and full tight but I think the spring might need to be stronger yet because it is making me a little leaner on decel and high vac still.. Or maybe I need a better one that I know actually seals for sure or something.. I think I'll try to put a shim in it to stiffin it a bit more..
It blows off plenty fine but I think just the high vac on the reference line is making it too easy to open still.. It does make a nice noise..

BTW it is 90 degrees F today, even waited in a long line at Burger King, rad fans work great, car didn't get hot..

Last edited by Fasteddie313 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
It does make a nice noise..

enjoy
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope..

I put 2 washers in my BOV to shim the spring even tighter and it still messes with my tune, letting air in at decel making me lean at high vacuum..

Seems it still opens wayy too easily..

Maybe it is a junk BOV, maybe it is just designed to only work in a recirculating BOV style system so it isn't hard enough to run it upen, idk, but I don't like the fact that it changes my tune when I think the darn thing should just be sealed..

Like high vac cruising down a hill, the darn thing is letting unmetered air in..

I want to get rid of the recirculation because I am afraid that it is slamming my airplate closed when it blows off and I don't want to possibly hurt it or something..
On my logs you can see where it shuts the fuel right down to nothing when it blows off..
CÚdric  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting some dyno time isn't a bad idea, you do the tuning and they just operate the dyno. But its always best to go there with a car that is as sorted as possible of course.

Its nice that you get time in the car, they really are fun. I wonder if the flap and bov interaction gives me fireball/bang when i lift after hard boost. I havent sorted that yet. Your lean spike looks strange thats for sure. What kind of bov do you run? Oem or ebay?

i hope the small stuff is possible to iron out, its a strange mix of mechanical and electronics you are playing with, it's fun to follow the process. Logging the air plate position would be ace!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: